News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Google Voice is still working normally, but why?

Started by AJor, May 24, 2014, 07:53:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AJor

Does anyone have technical info on why Google Voice still works normally with my OBi100 nine days after the supposed cut-off?

I've seen a few messages implying that "support" is just a technicality, e.g. Windows XP still works after Microsoft stopped "supporting" it in April 2014. Is that a good parallel to Obihai & Google Voice? I tend to think not.

Thanks for any details vs rumors, if possible. My location is near Portland Oregon if that matters.

lhm.

AJor

And The Lord said "worketh" and it worked, and it was Good. And the masses prayed that it would continue.

MikePA

Quote from: AJor on May 24, 2014, 07:53:28 PM
Does anyone have technical info on why Google Voice still works normally with my OBi100 nine days after the supposed cut-off?

The 'technical' answer is because Google hasn't shut off the service/capability yet. It's not complicated.

Kage

Because they haven't finished rolling out Hangouts yet? You can be sure once they do Google Chat is gone so be thankful for every extra day you get.

This is one of those few instances where a company taking their time is to our advantage.

AJor

Quote from: Kage on May 25, 2014, 10:18:02 AM
Because they haven't finished rolling out Hangouts yet? You can be sure once they do Google Chat is gone so be thankful for every extra day you get.

This is one of those few instances where a company taking their time is to our advantage.

Looks like this is unanswerable in any detail at the moment. The following link acknowledges the delay but a cutoff date may only be known to Google employees who'll make the switch from open-source XMPP to a proprietary method. I'm not using it as a business phone and should probably be grateful it's been free as long as it has.

http://blog.obihai.com/2014/05/the-google-voice-service-is-still.html

YASH

What is the story of Google Voice? My Obi202 still works with GV
« on: Today at 05:46:41 am » Quote Modify Remove 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have obi202, which is 10 mos old and recently ( was using via Google voice ) there was  a wave of Google voice, stopping its services around May 15, 2014. But My piece is still working via GV and,.... as I received an e-mail from Obitalk,......
they say that Google has somehow made a provision to work it out,  some other way, so the service has not interrupted.  But the obi202 staff will not assist anymore for the Google voice for any questionnaire support, as they had declared.

So what is the true story ?  Are you still using GV,..... or should change to other service?
So far, I have no problem.  Pl. comment on this, an dalso ig there is another easy change for free service.

Somehow obihai helpline number is not returning my calls,
and they have stopped assisting via phone, it looks like. 

Thank you.

Lavarock7

Google's side asked people to get off their service by a specific date.

It is like a doctor telling you that you have 6 months to live and you question why you are still breathing at 6 months plus a few...
My websites: Kona Coffee: http://itskona.com and Web Hosting: http://planetaloha.info<br />A simplified Voip explanation: http://voip.planet-aloha.com

Harley

That's not what Google said, they said the would quit supporting XMPP but they didn't say get off our site. What Obi actually said after May 15th Obihai will no longer support the Google Voice service on its OBi devices, and that  Google would end its support for the XMPP communication protocol.  This is a far cry from saying get off!

MikePA

Quote from: Harley on May 27, 2014, 04:07:57 PM
That's not what Google said, they said the would quit supporting XMPP but they didn't say get off our site. What Obi actually said after May 15th Obihai will no longer support the Google Voice service on its OBi devices, and that  Google would end its support for the XMPP communication protocol.  This is a far cry from saying get off!

Here is a link to what Google actually said.

https://plus.google.com/+NikhylSinghal/posts/MjyncJEbzxK

Specifically, bolding and underlining are mine.

- Finally, we want to make Google Voice as secure as possible. There are a few third-party applications that provide calling and SMS services by making unauthorized use of Google Voice. These apps violate our Terms of Service and pose a threat to your security, so we're notifying these app developers that they must stop making unauthorized use of Google Voice to run their services and transition users by May 15, 2014

gderf

So, what is Nikhyl Singhal going to say now that he was largely blown off?
Help me OBiHai PhoneOBi. You're my only hope.

zorlac

lhm.

Google Voice is still working normally, but why?

Because it is.  :-*

AJor

Quote from: YASH on May 27, 2014, 06:03:02 AM
  .... as I received an e-mail from Obitalk,...... they say that Google has somehow made a provision to work it out,  some other way, so the service has not interrupted.  But the obi202 staff will not assist anymore for the Google voice for any questionnaire support, as they had declared.

I'd like to see quoted text from the email Obihai sent you. "A provision to work it out" (your paraphrasing) sounds open-ended.

The word "support" also gets batted around in different contexts. One can still drive a car long out of warranty, etc.

AJor

Quote from: MikePA on May 27, 2014, 05:22:48 PM
Quote from: Harley on May 27, 2014, 04:07:57 PM

Here is a link to what Google actually said.

https://plus.google.com/+NikhylSinghal/posts/MjyncJEbzxK

Specifically, bolding and underlining are mine.

- Finally, we want to make Google Voice as secure as possible. There are a few third-party applications that provide calling and SMS services by making unauthorized use of Google Voice. These apps violate our Terms of Service and pose a threat to your security, so we're notifying these app developers that they must stop making unauthorized use of Google Voice to run their services and transition users by May 15, 2014

Someone should cut through that legalese. Is it ethical or not at this point? It could come down to sheer lack of time on Google's part to flip a switch, so to speak.

MikePA

Quote from: AJor on May 29, 2014, 10:37:44 PM
Someone should cut through that legalese. Is it ethical or not at this point? It could come down to sheer lack of time on Google's part to flip a switch, so to speak.

What is so hard to understand about '...app developers ... must stop making unauthorized use of Google Voice to run their services and transition users by May 15, 2014. '?

Norris

Finally proof that procrastination pays off!

YASH

This is an interesting thread and I am also using obi202 and it's working with GV
just like usual. No problem so far.

However, I still worry that perhaps, Google may once again force OBI to pull away all of their customers, away from this free lunch service
and perhaps it may happen that OBI compulsorily send some program/patch-signals online, which may affect the GV ( wipe it out, working )  using all devices and force them all to quit using GV.
Just a guess.
And sure, I hope not that this thing should happen !

lvnv4me

I am having issues with GV and my OBI

I can still make outbound calls, no problem.

Incoming calls ring, but cannot be picked up, they disconnect.

My ObiTalk control panel says "Offline" for that SP. Green light on the OBI is solid green, as before.

Beginning of the end?  Everything was working normally until yesterday.  Nothing changed.  Rebooted and no difference.

mellaby

Ivnv4me, Did you by any chance change your Google Login Password? If you did you will have to change it in the OBi Dashboard.