News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Audio keeps cutting out

Started by jmk909er, June 03, 2014, 05:36:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jmk909er

I have been trying to figure this out for a while. My Obi status light is solid green, I have bought a new phone so I that is not the problem.

A while back I bought a new router and from what I am reading on the support page this cutting out is likely a router issue and that I need to (as one solution) prioritize the mac address of the Obi device. I looked at another support page and it says " After logging into the router navigate to the QoS page."

Well I have navigated all over in my router menu and I see nothing called "Qos" Could it also be called something else?

What I have found under the advanced tab in my router menu is "IP filtering", "MAC filtering" and "Port filtering" but the information indicates that it is for blocking internet traffic and I don't think this is what I want to do. I don't see any way to give my Obi device priority.

Any help is appreciated. My router is a Motorola Surfboard SBG6580

Mango

To verify that QoS will solve the problem, temporarily disable wireless, and disconnect all devices from your SBG6580 except your VoIP equipment.  Make a test call.  If the problem is solved, then QoS will indeed solve the problem permanently.  If you still experience issues, the problem is caused by something else.

As far as I'm aware your modem/router does not support QoS.  If you get another router, I recommend one that is compatible with the Toastman build of Tomato firmware, such as the Asus RT-N16 or RT-N66U if you can afford it.

If you use another router, Google for how to place your SBG6580 into "bridge mode" so that your new router is assigned a public IP address.

drgeoff

1.  It would be helpful if you confirm that by "cutting out" you mean intermittent loss of audio.  Ie the audio comes and goes during a call rather than stopping and never coming back.

2.  Is the loss in both directions or only one?  And if the latter, which?

Jackson

Well I'm glad you posted this, I was looking to get my own modem as a WOW replacement to save some monthly fees.  That was the one I was looking at :(

I currently use an Arris TG862G wireless modem, it has no QOS stuff, I did turn off ALG though.  It works just fine.