News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

OBi302 Purchased in Error (vs. OBi202)

Started by TodWulff, June 09, 2014, 10:39:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TodWulff

Good day.

I'm licking some light wounds as I have had two good ebay experienced followed by two recent bad ebay experiences, coupled with a bone-head move in the heat of the moment.

Initially, I needed to extend a pots line on the cheap for my Bride's new home office.  I trolled some forums and IRC channels and learned that the lowest risk manner would be with a pair of Obihai devices - an OBi100 paired with an OBi110.  I went and bought them used from a couple of different sellers on ebay.  I received the hardware and viola, I was able to instantiate my needed solution for less than $50 USD.  I was happy.

Going down that path exposed me to the whole voip world and I have since sunk my teeth into same.  I now have asterisk installed on my Asus Router and am implementing a home PBX.  Because I can.  And because I want to... :)

As part of that learning process, I signed up for a free OBiPlus Lite account.  As part of that process, I found that it is intended to be used with an OBi202 or OBi500(?) series devices.  So, off to ebay to get my hands on an OBi202.  This is where the wound licking comes in.

I ordered a used OBi202.  Once I received it, I learned that it was faulty for constant reboots.  It was totally borked, rendering the device completely unusable.  I ended up getting a refund and returned the unit - a week wasted.  I then ordered a second used OBi202 and received it, and it too was faulty for other reasons (phone ports totally inop).  Refunded/returned.

After getting frustrated, I said eff it and was going to just procure a new unit and be done with the drama of used equipment off of ebay - a pseudo-lesson learned - my time is more valuable than the delta in price...  In the heat of my frustration, I inadvertently ordered an OBi302 vs. an OBi202.  When I got the confirmation email from Amazon, I thought 'Man, that is a blatant typo' as I hadn't stumbled across any 300 series devices when I was researching things and didn't know that they even existed.

Upon digging a bit more, I found that there are indeed 300 series units and that they are targeted for sale to ITSPs, with an intent towards ITSP management vs. user management, seemingly with some of the consumer OBiTalk functionality rendered inoperative.  I was genuinely sad.  At first.

I elected not to cancel the order and just take my time and review things a bit more before I reacted.  After sleeping on it, I came back and did some more research and it seems that things may actually work out OK or even for the better, unintentionally.?.

Given that I plan on using the device with OBiPlus Lite, when coupled with the fact that it is an OBi302 vs. an OBi202, I may not be in as bad a shape as I had thought.  It seems that the OBi302 being configured via OBiPlus (lite, in my case) may actually be a bit more robust from a remote management perspective than an OBi202 would be through OBiTalk.  Is anyone able to offer confirmation of this.

Also, does anyone have any comments, lessons learned, or best practices to offer when using OBi302 units with the OBiPlus service?

Please and Thanks, in advance.  Take care.

-t

drgeoff

I've always been under the impression that the only difference between a 202 and a 302 is the omission of Google Voice support from the latter's firmware.

TodWulff

Possibly.?.  This post leads me to believe OBiTalk is crippled with the 302, however.

drgeoff

Quote from: TodWulff on June 09, 2014, 11:41:48 AM
Possibly.?.  This post leads me to believe OBiTalk is crippled with the 302, however.
I have no hands-on experience with a 302, but the Admin Guide http://www.obihai.com/OBiDeviceAdminGuide has no mention of any crippling of the 302 cf a 202, except that it is SIP only.

TodWulff

Agreed.

On a somewhat related note: In case anyone else has stumbled across this thread and may be looking for additional information on the 300 series items, I found a couple of third-party tools that have been updated to support Obihai's 100, 200, and 300 Series devices:

Configuration Utility for OBi100/110/200/202/300/302, and
Provisioning Utility for OBi100/110/200/202/300/302

I'll have some hands-on experiences by the weekend.  I'll update this thread to advise related findings.

Ostracus

Brought to us by everyone's favorite, RonR. Good job Ron.

TodWulff

Hey all.  I ended up sending the OBi302 back, given that it didn't qualify for service with Ring.to, sadly.

However, prior to returning it to Amazon, I did play with it a bit.  I can now confirm that I was indeed able to to interact with the unit just like the new OBi202 that I have now.  So, it isn't crippled as far as user interaction with OBiTalk.

Just following-up, as promised, in case anyone is interested.

carl

eeeeh-bay!! ::) >:(

Why not to spend a few dollars more and actually get a brand new product with warranty and support?  Unless your time is worth significantly less than minimum wage, that's the way to go; but off course that's just me. 

TodWulff

:)  Lesson learned - the very first used items I ever bought off of eebaye were the good 110 and the good 100, setting a bad precedence, I guess, given that I got hosed on the next two...

Amazon is my friend now (still, again, etc.).

SanJuan

Quote from: TodWulff on June 21, 2014, 08:54:06 PM
Hey all.  I ended up sending the OBi302 back, given that it didn't qualify for service with Ring.to, sadly.

Why didn't the OBi302 qualify for RingTo and did you ask for support from OBiTalk on the matter?  Did the OBi302 qualify for OBiPLUS Lite or any of the other approved service providers like PowerPhone?

giqcass

The level to which an Obi302 is crippled depends on where you get it.  If it is directly from ObiHai only Google Voice will be omitted.  If you get it from anywhere else it's a crap-shoot.   The 302 was designed to allow ITSPs the ability to customize the devices.  They can leave all available features accessible to the end user or nothing at all.  If you read the customization manual they go into great detail.

Ring.to is likely omitted because the 302 line is meant for use by ITSPs with there own services.  I would have to read it but I'm sure Ring.to TOS says you can't resell their service and of course an ITSP is in the business of selling phone service.  Allowing your customers to dump you for a free service makes no sense.  :D
Long live our new ObiLords!

Betta

I used these instructions:

OBi302 Note: To access the integral web page via the WAN port, you may need to enable WAN access.  To do this, from the connected phone dial ***0.  Next, enter 30# - Press 1 to enter a new value - Press 1# to enable - Press 1 to save.

from https://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=9.0

Then I copied my settings from a Obi100 device that was setup for Asterisk. I was then able to use Obi302 with Asterisk. This method may allow you to use the device with other carriers too. The tricky part was getting the management webpage. Thanks to ShermanObi.

SteveInWA

Quote from: Betta on April 22, 2018, 08:49:28 AM
I used these instructions:

OBi302 Note: To access the integral web page via the WAN port, you may need to enable WAN access.  To do this, from the connected phone dial ***0.  Next, enter 30# - Press 1 to enter a new value - Press 1# to enable - Press 1 to save.

from https://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=9.0

Then I copied my settings from a Obi100 device that was setup for Asterisk. I was then able to use Obi302 with Asterisk. This method may allow you to use the device with other carriers too. The tricky part was getting the management webpage. Thanks to ShermanObi.

Irrelevant spam.