News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Free incoming calls from friends and relatives overseas at local rates.

Started by giqcass, November 28, 2013, 11:00:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

giqcass

Free incoming calls from friends and relatives overseas at local rates.  This is something I have been using for a very long time.  You can find more info about it in my signature but I thought I would outline it a little more.  For those people that aren't familiar with sipbroker.com they provide a free service with the help of many telephone and VOIP providers.

Q: What does sipbroker.com do?

• A: They provide phone numbers all over the world that can be dialed to access Sip networks.  Once a Sipbroker.com phone number is dialed a virtual extension number can be entered that will call your sip account.  This means friends and family without sip phones can call you with a regular telephone in most countries for a local dialing rate.  Often completely for free.

Q: How many access numbers do they offer and in what countries?

• A: I won't bother trying to answer this question.  New numbers are added regularly.  Instead check here.  I will say it's a lot.

Q: How do I find out my extension number?

• A: It will be a virtual area code followed by your sip ID.  Check here for the area code and check with your sip provider for your sip ID or continue reading and I'll show you how to make it your regular phone number instead.

Q: The extension number is a real pain. You said I could use my own phone number. How do I do that?

• A:  Sipbroker uses virtual area codes so you can dial many different sip providers from their service.  Much like your regular telephone company Sipbroker has a default area code.  Numbers in this area code don't require you to dial a virtual area code first.  e164.org is the Sipbroker.com local area code. Find out your sip providers incoming sip uri and register it at e164.org.  You can get a free enum from them or you can assign your real phone number to your sip address. This won't change the way people call you from regular phones but people who call you from Sipbroker can just dial your real number using the Sipbroker.com PSTN gateway numbers.

Q: I signed up for e164.org. Now what?

• A:  Find a number that is local to your friends and family here.  Tell them to dial that number then dial your phone number.  The call will connect to you for the cost of a local call which is often free.

Q: Can I make the process easier for my Grandma or Grandpa?

• A:  Most phones allow the ability to program a pause into a contact.  Create a contact on their phone that dials the Sipbroker.com gateway then pauses for about 2 seconds and dials your number.  Now it's as simple as calling any other contact.  Many cordless phones use the #key in the dialing string for a pause.  Cell phones often use one of the following. p # ,

Q: What if I switch sip services or I don't have one?

• A:  That is another reason I recommend e164.org.  You can update your sip address any time you want.  You can even forward calls directly to your Obi without a sip provider. e164.org acts like a sip uri phone book.

If you would like to get Creative you could dial into your Obi from one of these gateways and use the Obi Auto Attendant to dial back out using free Google Voice calling.

Long live our new ObiLords!