News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

I've Figured It Out - Google Voice's Security Problem!

Started by Usetheforceobiwan, June 14, 2014, 06:34:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Usetheforceobiwan

Google tried to tell Obihai in perhaps too subtle a way that the Obion softphone was a security problem.  You know, it hasn't been updated in like 3 years (eons in computer years).  Well Obihai wouldn't take a hint so Google musta sent something over to them that made them stop marketing Google Voice compatibility.   At least that's my take on it  :o..................

giqcass

They sent the same notice to every developer using the XMPP hack not just Obi. 

By the way this is the feature request area so you posted in the wrong thread.  I'm guilty myself of posting in the wrong place so I'm not throwing stones here but it's best for everyone if we keep these threads tidy.  ;)
Long live our new ObiLords!

Usetheforceobiwan

Quote from: giqcass on June 20, 2014, 04:28:52 AM
By the way this is the feature request area so you posted in the wrong thread.  

My subtle sarcasm failed miserably and if was lost on you, it definitely DID......don't you think a new Obi app for PC, Android and IOS would be a welcomed new feature?  Restated, could you imagine the potential in flexibility for use of the Obi's if Obihai were to introduce such new apps?  I could think of at least 50 new things that could be possible if the apps were updated and new features introduced.  So much potential there totally neglected dare I say abandoned by Obihai.

Ostracus

Maybe, but I suspect they're moving to WebRTC and some other changes so they don't have to create a unique app for each platform.

giqcass

Quote from: Usetheforceobiwan on June 20, 2014, 08:12:36 AM
My subtle sarcasm failed miserably and if was lost on you, it definitely DID......don't you think a new Obi app for PC, Android and IOS would be a welcomed new feature?  Restated, could you imagine the potential in flexibility for use of the Obi's if Obihai were to introduce such new apps?  I could think of at least 50 new things that could be possible if the apps were updated and new features introduced.  So much potential there totally neglected dare I say abandoned by Obihai.
If I missed the sarcasm ObiHai surely did.  They don't seem to take hints very well at all.  ;D

Since we are speculating, I think they just don't want to spend the money on it. It's unlikely they have their own development team in house for mobile and it can cost a fortune to bring an app to market if you put it through proper testing.  I don't think true web RTC would work very well on a phone without a companion app but if they went in that direction it could dramatically reduce the cost.  Once the companion app was created there would likely be a steep decrease in cost associated with updates and maintenance.  Only one code base could be used to update across multiple operating systems.

I believe a companion app is needed on mobile devices to allow reliable incoming calls.  It would be a simple framework to keep the session alive with updated network information.  I don't think it's needed for outgoing calling on many recent devices.
Long live our new ObiLords!

Usetheforceobiwan

Quote from: giqcass on June 20, 2014, 04:41:32 PM
I believe a companion app is needed on mobile devices to allow reliable incoming calls.  It would be a simple framework to keep the session alive with updated network information.  I don't think it's needed for outgoing calling on many recent devices.

From the beginning mobile connection to my Obi has been my biggest problem.  In it's current form it's not at all reliable so I was forced to use third party means to connect to it.  While the work around is viable, why should I settle for it when Obihai could easily update the apps and make them work with recent updates to Android or IOS. 

The other issue, having an old app like they do now which they allow to connect to the Obitalk network probably is a security risk.  And it could be a security risk to all Obitalk users.