News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

obi202 needs to be rebooted at least weekly for ip phones to call out

Started by evergreen, June 22, 2014, 03:20:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RFC3261

Quote from: evergreen on November 19, 2014, 09:03:33 AM
so now my issue's gotten worse where my ip phones are seeing downtime for extended periods of time and reboots are not working.

FWIW, OBi acknowledged (and thanked me for) my report (with network traces) from early November.  No further updates at this point.  I presume all such work takes time.

I will note that the this most recent set of failures a few days ago corresponded to my Obi not being able to establish a connection with the ObiTALK Service Status (pretty much at the bottom web admin page) according to the web page.  This (mostly) seems consistent with the previous conjecture that if a ObiPlus device is unable to contact "home", (the free) ObiPlus will stop communicating with an IP Phone.  I have to believe this is an attempt to insure licensing compliance via a heartbeat of some sort.  And while that is understandable, I would like Obi to rethink the approach they are currently using to be more tolerant of their infrastructure outages.  But since I am not paying them anything for the feature I understand if they are prioritizing other requests and issues.

evergreen

Quote from: RFC3261 on November 20, 2014, 01:05:32 PM
Quote from: evergreen on November 19, 2014, 09:03:33 AM
so now my issue's gotten worse where my ip phones are seeing downtime for extended periods of time and reboots are not working.

FWIW, OBi acknowledged (and thanked me for) my report (with network traces) from early November.  No further updates at this point.  I presume all such work takes time.

I will note that the this most recent set of failures a few days ago corresponded to my Obi not being able to establish a connection with the ObiTALK Service Status (pretty much at the bottom web admin page) according to the web page.  This (mostly) seems consistent with the previous conjecture that if a ObiPlus device is unable to contact "home", (the free) ObiPlus will stop communicating with an IP Phone.  I have to believe this is an attempt to insure licensing compliance via a heartbeat of some sort.  And while that is understandable, I would like Obi to rethink the approach they are currently using to be more tolerant of their infrastructure outages.  But since I am not paying them anything for the feature I understand if they are prioritizing other requests and issues.

That's awesome!  Thanks for the thorough update.  And thanks again for submitting the trace.  I've been trying to log one using wireshark using the info here, but am unable to really figure out if I run wireshark on a workstation in a network, if the ip of the workstation is what needs to be referenced or if wireshark has its own fake ip.