ring.to will not work with existing OBi devices (purchased prior to 5/1/2014)

Started by mushnut, May 24, 2014, 07:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dircom

Quote from: mykmayk on June 29, 2014, 11:59:52 AM
Quote from: Gonzo on June 29, 2014, 01:29:19 AM
My Obi devices are going on eBay or to the trash.....

i'm serious.  give it to me instead of trashing it.

my sentiments are with you mykmayk.... it is morally wrong to just trash stuff when it can be reused or recycled.

giqcass

Quote from: Gonzo on June 29, 2014, 05:21:07 AM
As you well know, Obi had choices and control on what type of partnership they did with ring.to.
Should they have told Ring.to take all of our customers or take none?

We as consumers do not know who limited who, although there are posts out there with ring.to claiming that Obi put that limitation to new devices.
I guess you are right we can assume everyone is lying all the time but Ring.to said it was their decision.  Where did you find a post from Ring.to that claimed ObiHai made the decision?

Finally, as to what ring.to implied or not on future opening to older obi devices, that only is coming out from the stream of complaints that have been coming and I, for one, believe the limitation was set up by OBI.  It is yet to be seen if they will support those older devices. 
This was taken directly from the Ring.to website. 
QuoteThe OBi fanship is huge and for good reason. And though we wish we could, RingTo does not have the ability to support the entire Obihai user base at this time. That's why we're currenting restricting entry to OBi devices purchased after May 1, 2014.
Obviously they didn't promise to support old Obi devices but they implied they might.  They clearly said it was their decision and there is no room for interpretation on that statement.  Have a little faith.
Long live our new ObiLords!

vtsnaab

I both agree AND disagree:
I for one, express my opinion and will move on to doing what I preach.  TRASH OBI DEVICES and move to other solutions while ensuring I spread the word
I'm imagining backroom deals galore between ALL parties involved to LOCK IN their profits.
Businesses DO need profits to thrive - BUT backroom deals are just BAD NEWS.

As for trashing a perfectly usable Obi box - no way - it works quite well with other services.
Trashing it would be both silly and wasteful.

As to buying a new Obi box ?!?
Also=> no way.
Too much obvious manipulation for me to ever trust getting long use out of anything like that.

It would likely have 'improvements' (spelled 'r=e=s=t=r=i=c=t=i=o=n=s') limiting its usefulness and the providers it could use as well.
No thanks.

I appreciate what I've had for how long I've had it.

I will not be pushed around just to help some company remain in business at my (greater ??) expense.

In short:
I bought an Obi box ONCE - that alone makes me a customer for as long as I have it.
Buying a 2nd one for the reasons stated would just change me from 'customer' to 'stupid customer'.
No thanks.

giqcass

I was hoping that when he made the comment about trashing the devices he meant verbally.  Take away the Google Voice features and these boxes are still well worth what we paid for them.  They are excellent device that are not locked down in any way.  I haven't seen any new restrictions to the devices themselves accept for the brief period of time we couldn't downgrade the firmware but that restriction went away as quickly as it came.  If a bunch of cheap used Obi boxes flooded the market I would surely pick some up.  To be honest however I really want a peek at the new IP Phone they are about to launch. 
Long live our new ObiLords!