News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

ITSP Provisioning VS Obitalk Provisioning

Started by cj4331, June 27, 2014, 10:28:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cj4331

What's the difference?

I need it to work obviously but I no longer want to mess with Obi expert--I'd rather make dialplan changes locally.  I've experienced too many problems with making them in obi expert  and they not update the device or they change back and frankly I never can't understand all the symbols in obi expert.  The devices web page is straight forward.  I want to disable updates from obi expert so my changes made locally will stay put.

I don't make obi to obi calls if that's what obitalk provisioning is all about--not sure.  Two, it would be nice if I visited the obi dashboard and it told me the PhonePower was registered and GV was connected but if that's got to go to get obi expert out of the picture so be it.

drgeoff

ITSP provisioning is NOT the same thing as configuring the OBi through its built-in web pages.

If you want to do local configuration, set System Management/Auto Provisioning/OBiTalk Provisioning to Disabled.  (Check that ITSP Provisioning on the same page is also disabled.)

Obi to Obi calls are not reliant on OBiTalk Provisioning (Basic or Expert.)

cj4331

So setting OBiTalk Provisioning to Disabled prevents OBi Expert from overwriting changes I make locally--got it. 

What does ITSP Provisioning do?

And I take it none of this applies to Obi to Obi calls?  Which doesn't really matter as I don't make/receive them.

drgeoff

Quote from: cj4331 on June 27, 2014, 11:33:57 AM
What does ITSP Provisioning do?
What the name suggests.  Allows an ITSP to remotely configure the OBi.  Like Vonage do with their ATAs.

cj4331

But does Obihai use it--or is just setting OBiTalk Provisioning to Disabled enough to get Obi Expert out of my hair?

drgeoff

Quote from: cj4331 on June 27, 2014, 12:03:23 PM
But does Obihai use it--or is just setting OBiTalk Provisioning to Disabled enough to get Obi Expert out of my hair?
On my 110, I have set ITSP Provisioning to 'Disabled'. I don't know for whether OBiTalk uses it, though I suspect not.  I imagine ITSP Provisioning would be enabled in the scenario of OBi selling the device to an ITSP who then supplies it to a customer.  Customer never needs to configure it either directly on the box or via a remote web server.  The OBi 'phones home' regularly to the ITSP's server and pulls down any updates.

cj4331

Thanks, I think I'll disable it and see.  I use Phone Power on SP1 and GV on SP2.  I don't think Phone Power tries to manage the obi100 directly--the setup was done via the Obi site's link.

It's just clearly simpler to make changes locally and know what I set is what is happening.  The digit map I got with Phone Power was awful.  Several things were repeated in the same string.  I always had a 10 second or so wait after dialing before the call went out.

I wanted outbound calls to go via GV so they showed in my GV call history.  911 outbound needs to be via PhonePower.  I ended up with:

outbound call route:  {911:sp1},{([1-9]x?*(Mpli)):pp},{**0:aa},{***:aa2},{(<**1:>(Msp1)):sp1},{(<**2:>(Msp2)):sp2},{(<**9:>(Mpp)):pp},{(Mpli):pli}     Only thing I changed in this was removing 933 as that doesn't do anything with Phone Power.

Primary Line:  SP2 Service

Profile A Digit Map:  (911S0|*xxS1|**xx.S1|***xx.S1|1xxxxxxxxxx|<1336>[2-9]xxxxxx|<1>[2-9]xxxxxxxxx|)
Profile B Digit Map:  completely blank     I read that the obi looks at a combination of the above so I figure why put the same string in both.  I guess I'll see if it works.

All inbound calls are from GV and forwarded to my obi via PhonePower instead of GV as it adds Caller Name.  If GV stops handling outbound calls then I'll just change the primary line to SP1.

P.S.  I really wish Obi would put something a bit more descriptive in those little help messages that show when hovering over the blue question mark.

azrobert

QuoteProfile B Digit Map:  completely blank     I read that the obi looks at a combination of the above so I figure why put the same string in both.  I guess I'll see if it works.

This is not correct.
{(Mpli):pli} in your outbound route points to the primary route DigitMap and Trunk. Since your primary route is SP2 it's the equivalent of {(Msp2):sp2}, therefore you need the rules in ITSP B DigitMap. You also need the rules in ITSP A DigitMap if you change the primary route to SP1.

(Mpli) in the phone port DigitMap also points to the primary route DigitMap.

cj4331

azrobert,  I'm not following.  SP2 is set as my primary line.  The only thing I want going out on SP1 is 911 calls.  What should my setting look like and perhaps I'll understand what you are saying.

azrobert

You need same rules in Profile B DigitMap as you have in Profile A DigitMap.

When you dial a number like 4805551212, rule {(Mpli):pli} will route the call.
When the primary route is set to SP2, (Mpli) points to Profile B DigitMap and pli points to sp2.
The dialed number will match Profile B DigitMap and then the call will be routed out SP2.

I just noticed you have an extra vertical bar in your DigitMap.
You have:
(911S0|*xxS1|**xx.S1|***xx.S1|1xxxxxxxxxx|<1336>[2-9]xxxxxx|<1>[2-9]xxxxxxxxx|)
Should be:
(911S0|*xxS1|**xx.S1|***xx.S1|1xxxxxxxxxx|<1336>[2-9]xxxxxx|<1>[2-9]xxxxxxxxx)

cj4331

Thank you azrobert!

I'll put the same in both and remove the extra bar.