News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Any special setup (e.g., QOS) required or helpful for Asus RT-N66U?

Started by cloudcover, July 04, 2014, 02:14:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cloudcover

Hi there -

As mentioned in the subject, I have an Obi200 connected to an Asus RT-N66U router running it's stock firmware. A test call that I placed sounded fine, but I was wondering if there's some QoS (or other) setting that I should make in this router to optimize voice quality.

Since it's a fairly popular and well-reviewed router, I was guessing/hoping that others who are using it might have some advice.

Thanks!

HDFLucky

Since I use the Internet more than I place or make telephone calls, I just plugged my OBi202 into DMZ on the RT-N66U. The other option would have been having the OBi front-end the connection with QOS enabled. In my configuration, a fixed ip is required for the OBi, since this router doesn't use a dedicated hardware port for DMZ. It works perfectly!

Ostracus

I have both of my Obi's behind that router, and QoS usually isn't needed.

Mango

I wouldn't spend too much time on the stock firmware.  If it works, great.  If not - install Tomato and set up QoS.

corporate_gadfly

Quote from: Mango on July 05, 2014, 09:57:24 PM
I wouldn't spend too much time on the stock firmware.  If it works, great.  If not - install Tomato and set up QoS.
There is a 3rd option: asuswrt-merlin.