News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Recommendations since termination of GV?

Started by BillDoe, June 29, 2014, 12:43:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BillDoe

I'd like to get set up again with another provider and only need basic calling options and unlimited minutes (or at least a lot at a cheap price. Recommendations?

InetUser

Nothing has changed with Google Voice and there is no indication that anything will in the immediate future.

Google Voice is still working as it always has and there's not been any announcements by Google to expect otherwise.

rastoma

Quote from: BillDoe on June 29, 2014, 12:43:02 PM
I'd like to get set up again with another provider and only need basic calling options and unlimited minutes (or at least a lot at a cheap price. Recommendations?

INetUser is correct.  But that doesn't mean GV won't get shut-off without notice.  I didn't want to take a chance.  So I signed up with Ring.to.  It's a Obitalk preferred provider and it's free.  Allows up to calls at once (call-waiting).  Well, there is a small fee but it's a nice one to have.  You have to pay $12/year for 911 service from Anveo.

So far the quality has been great.  Voicemail is included.  But not a whole lot of other bells and whistles just yet.  The only negative I have ran into is that I have not been able to get the Obi auto attendant to answer from a trusted caller while using ring.to.  If that's not a big deal then I would definitely recommend them.

highpks

BillDoe

can't take a chance with GV because this will be my wife's business line, so I can't risk GV shutting off one day as her phone is critical as a home-based account exec. Just want to find a solid, reliable service that doesn't kill you on outbound minute charges as she makes a LOT of calls.

vtsnaab

Risk is avoidable in a very simple manner:
Quote from: BillDoe on July 20, 2014, 05:19:47 AM
can't take a chance with GV because this will be my wife's business line, so I can't risk GV shutting off one day as her phone is critical as a home-based account exec. Just want to find a solid, reliable service that doesn't kill you on outbound minute charges as she makes a LOT of calls.

I have done this myself and it works fine.

Get an Android phone (mine cost 19.95 and has Android 2.3.6 which does not have the IP bug in newer versions).
Get Acrobits softphone & set up GV with that or forward GV to a free DID and use it with that over Wifi.
(My phone has no cellular account at all and still does all I need for it to do.)

Now I have the Android phone on my desk in a cradle as well as my Obi-connected phone, and they both get incoming calls just fine.
If/when the Obi-connected (GV) phone quits on me it'll be no problem.
I also have accounts with Circlenet & Future9 using the same softphone.

I'll use GV even after the cut-off this way and it'll be no big deal and make no interruptions for me.

Merryheart

I got Phone Power, an OBI approved provider.  $59.99 a year for unlimited calls (which is 5000 min/Mo) for OBI device owners. Customer Service is very good. They graciously helped me with a tricky problem that turned out to be my own fault.