News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

omnibox 110 cannot pick up internet from router

Started by nakosan, July 16, 2014, 11:28:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nakosan

My omnibox110 was set up by someone else. We installed a new combination modem/router SMC. and now when I try different ethernet cables and plug them into internet  port on omnibox, there is no internet connection received. I have power on, and phone jack plugged into phone line port, not phone port. I also tried phone port.  The internet light on the omnibox never lights up. On the modem I plug ethernet into LAN port or another port, and all I get is an amber light on the back. For security the user name and passphrase from old network are no longer used.

Any assistance for this non-tech person?

drgeoff

I've never heard of an omnibox, so I assume you have an OBi110,  :)

It is trivial for someone who knows what they are doing but talking you through it would not be simple.  Do you really not know anyone locally who is a bit of a computer geek.  He/she does not need to be familiar with the OBi device - a few words here from one of the experts will be enough to guide him/her.

NEVER, NEVER plug the phone line into the PHONE port of the 110.  You risk seriously damaging the 110.  ONLY the phone instrument should be plugged into the PHONE port.

nakosan

Yes, I did mean OBI110...proof I am not a high tech person.  Any suggestions for getting it connected to internet?  If I cannot get it up and running I will probably go with local ISP and different voip service.  However when my son had it up on our old network, it worked most of the time.  Unfortunately I do not know any computer geeks as my son did it, and he is not available. 

drgeoff

It's a long shot, but you never know!

It is not advisable to give out your full address here, but if you say roughly where you are, maybe some kind person reading here is close enough to offer to drop by and help you out.