News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Want to test out system before delivery to another location

Started by lakesidepark, July 17, 2014, 05:49:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lakesidepark

Hi

Just purchased OBiwifi and OBi200.  I plan to install these at my mother's house and sign herup for ANVEO service in a month.  I want to put the wifi and 200 together at my house first to test it and learn how to set it up so installing for my mother will go smoothly.  I have a google voice phone number.

Any suggestions on the best way to do this to be able to test the hardware out before final installation? 

I have looked thru lots of FAQs about various install issues but did not see something that addresses my situation.

Thanks for your help

BigJim_McD

Setup the OBI device using OBiTalk on your Home Network.
Then you take it to another location and power up.

Update the:

>  WiFi Settings
    >  Basic Settings
        >  PreferredAccessPoint 

and enter the Access Point Password for the WiFi network at the new location.
BigJimMcD

MurrayB

lakesidepark

Thanks for your replies....will look into problems with Anveo and other services

lakesidepark

Big Jim -

I am a little further along now using OBi.  I have my 200 running with OBiwifi on my home network and was able to get google voice calls working.  I have an IP address and put that in my browser and it opens up the device set up page.  I see under OBIWIFI configurations the 'wifi settings' tab I think you referred to and can see preferred access point setting.

I am a little confused - I think I need an IP address to get to the set up page menu to change the preferred access point - but doesn't that imply that I am already on the new wifi network in order to get the new ip address?  I think my basic question is how do I get on the new wifi network when I go to a new location?  Just repeat the obiwifi set up process?

thanks

Shale

I would try the method shown in http://www.obihai.com/wifi

You could test that at home by temporarily changing your SSID on your router, and see if you could connect to what will effectively be a different WiFi from the point of view of the OBi.

dircom

If you don't live with your mother, I would suggest hard wired if possible