News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

do 1800 calls use up minutes from outgoing minute limits?

Started by walenta, September 07, 2014, 05:27:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

walenta

I am new to VOIP, researching options
I work from home and use 1800 numbers all day long
I see plans from providers with limits how many minutes for outgoing calls

looking into Anveo pr Phonepower as service providers..
this is not good for me
unless 1800 calls do not count against minutes limits
any knows?

thanks
christian

bluechip

Whatever VoIP provider is chosen, Voice Gateways can be set up to make FREE toll-free calls using "localphone.com" and "tf.callwith.us".

In my opinion Localphone is the best VoIP value. It works fine for me. Their 800 minute/month USA subscription costs only $1.60. They do not add toll-free calls into the 800 minutes. Over 800 minutes, the cost is only 0.5 cents/minute.

;)

azrobert

Expanding on bluechip's post, there are several free tollfree service providers that don't require you to setup an account. tf.callwithus.com is one of these providers.  I used tf.callwithus.com for years and was very happy with their service, but recently made an 844 call that failed. tf.callwithus.com didn't think it was a tollfree number. I don't know if they can't handle all 844 numbers or that particular one. I have since switched to tf.arctele.com.

I think (not 100% sure) localphone requires you to setup an account to use their service. I'm not familiar with Anveo or Phonepower. Circle.net is another cheap service provider that doesn't charge for tollfree numbers.

Do you currently own an OBi?
Do you have an account with a service provider?

If you don't have a service provider I would setup Arctele on SP2, otherwise you would have to setup a dummy SP to use a Voice Gateway. This will leave SP1 for your main service provider.

Post back what you want to do and I or someone else will walk you thru the setup.

walenta

thanks bluechip and azrobert

I am moving to new house and do NOT have yet obi110 or VOIP
just started researching VOIP this weekend

I am not a business , just need solution for my own home,
but work from home and dial into my employers conference calling to work
as such don't want to pay for minutes used by calling 1800 numbers

I am not a network experts, just user of the technology. so need something easy enough to set up and use please

I was looking at obi110 with preferred providers anveo or powerphone, but both have limits on outbound calls - that's why the question

thanks

carl

Quote from: azrobert on September 07, 2014, 08:44:42 AM
I think (not 100% sure) localphone requires you to setup an account to use their service.

they do, but if you make or receive any international calls it's worth it, even if you choose not to use them for VOIP.

c3c3

I have three Obi100s in the family with Anveo on SP1, and Localphone on SP2 for toll free calls only.  My experience with Localphone was pretty bad for local calls (no/long connections, frequent disconnects, etc), but toll free calls are fine.

mykmayk

Quote from: bluechip on September 07, 2014, 06:38:12 AM
In my opinion Localphone is the best VoIP value. It works fine for me. Their 800 minute/month USA subscription costs only $1.60. They do not add toll-free calls into the 800 minutes. Over 800 minutes, the cost is only 0.5 cents/minute.

;)

for me, too.  the only qualm i have with localphone is that calls, whether it is unanswered by the party called or it just fails, will still be charged against your balance if it's not a toll-free call.  but i guess, that's just a minute charged against your account.  no biggie since they still have very good rates compared to most others.
əʞɪɯ mɪke

MurrayB

Look into voip.ms. No charge for toll free calls and they have a very feature rich service with a versatile web control. E911 is optional.

Good Luck!

Shale

Circlenet does not charge for outgoing 800 calls. Anveo does.

c3c3

Quote from: mykmayk on September 09, 2014, 08:06:03 AM
the only qualm i have with localphone is that calls, whether it is unanswered by the party called or it just fails, will still be charged against your balance if it's not a toll-free call.

No, that should not happen.  I made tons of calls to test the connection delay, and my Localphone account was never charged.  If you call Google Voice or other services with similar setup, all calls are "answered".

mykmayk

Quote from: c3c3 on September 09, 2014, 09:26:10 AM
No, that should not happen.  I made tons of calls to test the connection delay, and my Localphone account was never charged.  If you call Google Voice or other services with similar setup, all calls are "answered".

for me, it does -- ALWAYS -- for non-toll-free numbers, especially since i use localphone for international calling!  (toll-free and iNum numbers are FREE and therefore not charged against my balance, regardless of actual connection or failure.)  but i just chuck it as part of the deal.
əʞɪɯ mɪke