News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

CNAM via Callcentric works on DirecTV Receivers, but not with phone

Started by highpks, June 18, 2014, 09:20:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

highpks

I've had GV for a while now, but I'm new to the OBi party here. I had no issues setting up my new OBi100 with GV->Callcentric inbound and GV outbound. All seems to be working just fine, except CallerID, which is the whole reason I put Callcentric in the mix. Incoming calls with CNAM appear as expected on my DirecTV receiver but not on my phone...I don't even get the number, never mind the name. Home wiring plugged into the OBi with a Siemens phone system and a DirecTV receiver plugged into wall outlets. This circuit is disconnected from the outside world. Any thoughts?

HDFLucky

Quote from: highpks on June 18, 2014, 09:20:55 AM
All seems to be working just fine, except CallerID, which is the whole reason I put Callcentric in the mix. Incoming calls with CNAM appear as expected on my DirecTV receiver but not on my phone...I don't even get the number, never mind the name.
If CID is being passed to one, it's being passed to all. There are many reasons why your mobile might not display the data, but none of them are under your control. For example, if a transit network does not pass another network's data (T-Mobile is especially guilty of this), then it will not be received by the B-party, or if your mobile carrier caches number data, you'll have to wait for the cache to expire (could be days).

Jackson

So if you take Callcentric out of the mix, does an inbound call direct to GV show the # on your phone?

highpks

FYI, this is a home phone network, no mobile carrier involved. Not sure why that came up. With Callcentric in the loop I've only seen two valid CNAM entries in my phone's call log with a whole lot of "No Data" or "Incomplete"; when that happened there wasn't even a number in the phone log. However, for every invalid entry in my phone's call log, there was a corresponding valid entry in the DirecTV log. Clearly the info is there so why doesn't my phone system see it? After taking Callcentric out (in GV settings, forward to Chat vs Callcentric) the 2 calls that came in showed just numbers in the phone log as expected. FYI, the phone is a Siemens 8825 Gigaset with 8 remote handsets; always worked with POTS.

MikeHObi

plug your phone into the same jack the DirecTV box is getting it's phone signal from and see if that improves?  Either the phone is having issues internally or the wiring in your home is affecting what the phone can see.
Obi202 user & Obi100 using Anveo and Callcentric.

proteus

It is possible that GV is ringing and not Callcentric on your Obi. Disable Google Chat in Google Voice and see if it fixes the problem. The same setup works fine for me.

drgeoff

Quote from: proteus on June 30, 2014, 04:33:23 PM
It is possible that GV is ringing and not Callcentric on your Obi. Disable Google Chat in Google Voice and see if it fixes the problem. The same setup works fine for me.
I think you misunderstand the setup. The OBi100's PHONE port is connected to the house wiring.  The phone and the DirecTV are plugged into the house wiring.  CID/CNAM appear on the DirecTV but not on the phone.

highpks

Quote from: MikeHObi on June 30, 2014, 10:33:01 AM
plug your phone into the same jack the DirecTV box is getting it's phone signal from and see if that improves?  Either the phone is having issues internally or the wiring in your home is affecting what the phone can see.
The phone jack the DirecTV receiver is plugged into is hard to reach behind my entertainment center, so I tried plugging my phone directly into the OBI, rather than OBI->house wiring. CNAM caller id did start working, not 100%, maybe 75%, but way better than 0. Ran that way for a few days, then restored the original config and it's back to zero. Seems there may be something going on in walls. I'll be troubleshooting that soon, hoping to find the smoking gun...figuratively of course.