News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Confused which Obi to buy

Started by evetsmd, August 05, 2014, 09:18:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

evetsmd

I'd like to add another line to my Panasonic TA624 PBX using CO2.

I'll use GV as my provider.....question is which model obi to buy...seen some references to the obi110 and TA624 working but was wondering why just the 110.....looks like other models may have more capability/features.
Would like to avoid buying a 110 only to find out I should have bought a more feature rich version...
Any help/ suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

drgeoff

I have no experience of that PBX but from a quick look at the manual, the lines are conventional POTS/PSTN.  As such you should be able to connect it to a PHONE port on any OBi model.

The OBi 1x0 models have a single PHONE port and support two VoIP providers (SIP or GV independently).  They also have up to 8 Voice Gateways which can be used for outgoing calls via SIP Service Providers which do not require SIP registration.

The OBi 110 has an additional LINE port which can be connected to a telco POTS/PSTN line to make or receive calls over that.

The Obi20x models are more recent and support 4 VoiP providers and the same 8 Voice Gateways.  They have a USB port which can be used with a Wi-Fi adaptor, A Bluetooth adaptor and the OBiLINE.  The latter allows interfacing to a POTS/PSTN line.

The OBi 302 is similar to the 202 but does not support GV.

Google had seemingly given notice that they did not "approve" of 3rd parties (including Obihai) using the XMPP interface to GV and it was widely anticipated that GV via Obihai boxes would cease working on 15 May 2014.  This did not happen and AFAIK no official or unofficial statement has since been made by Google.  The risk is yours.   :)