News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Can I make OBI ring my softphone?

Started by hodag, August 08, 2014, 01:13:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hodag

I have an Obi202 with telecomm services supplied by VOIP.MS.  My desk phone is plugged into the Obi via a typical RJ-14 cable.  I also have a Bria softphone on my computer which I have configured for both the Obi and VOIP.MS.  All of that seems to work EXCEPT when my computer is connected via my proxy service.

The issue is that VOIP.MS needs UDP 5060 open to register me on the network and my proxy service blocks that port.  The Obi communicates with the router via a WiFi dongle so it does not go through the proxy, only my wireless connection on the computer is proxied.  If I try to call out on my Bria, the call goes through (presumably via the Obi).  So if Bria shows that my Obitalk is enabled (I have ObiONPC installed on the PC) and I can make outbound calls, I assume it must work in the other direction as well.

If a call comes into my Obi device, can I make I ring Bria on my computer (effectively bypassing the proxy problem)?  Obviously this is not an issue when I am in the office, I can just reach out and grab the desk phone, but when I am traveling I need to answer on the Bria.

If I can do that, can somebody please explain (in detail) how they configured it to make it work?  FYI, I have the Obi 202 updated to the latest firmware and my Bria is version 3.5.5.

ianobi

QuoteSo if Bria shows that my Obitalk is enabled (I have ObiONPC installed on the PC) and I can make outbound calls, I assume it must work in the other direction as well.

Yes, the outbound calls are routing via OBiON using your OBi softphone number and the OBiTALK network. The OBiTALK network does not use port 5060, which may explain why it is working for you.

To route calls in the other direction you need to send the calls incoming on your OBi202 to your softphone number. For example, if the incoming calls are coming in on sp1, then:

Voice Services > SP1 Service > X_InboundCallRoute:
{ph,pp(ob290123456)}

Where 290123456 is your softphone number. This will fork the incoming call to Phone Port 1 and to your softphone number/OBiON/Bria.

NB: I have no experience using Bria, the above should work with any PC based softphone if it is registered with the OBiON middleware.

hodag

Thanks for the reply.  Bria should work since it is the commercial version of the X-Lite product and I am sure you have gotten it to work with that.

I tried and tried the string you gave me before I posted, but then I found another thread that explained it all.  The trick is to uncheck both of the boxes in the Expert panel or else it will not let you type into that little box.

May I assume that the voicemail waiting indicator is linked to the X-InboundCallRoute such that if I have messages waiting it will light up the devices specified, or do I need to configure something else (my desk phone and Bria both support VM indicators)?  I looked through the all options on the Expert panel and didn't see anything obvious.

ianobi

To enable message waiting for sp1 on Phone Port 1 go to:

Voice Services > SP1 Services > Calling Features > MWIEnable and X_VMWIEnable

MWIEnable2 and X_VMWIEnable2 enable the same for Phone Port 2.

Changing settings has always been a big and controversial subject on this forum! I usually include this paragraph for first time posters:

QuoteMake changes via the OBi Expert Configuration pages. From your OBi Dashboard, click on your OBi number and follow the prompts to get there. To change a value uncheck both boxes to the right of the value and leave them unchecked. After changing the values on one page, press submit at the bottom of the page and wait a few minutes for the OBi to reboot. Then move on to another page if required.

A lot of us here gave up with X-Lite a long time ago due to its unfriendly use of pop-ups etc. Bria does get a much better press.

hwittenb

The issue is that VOIP.MS needs UDP 5060 open to register me on the network

Voip.ms offers alternative ports to use besides the standard 5060:
http://wiki.voip.ms/article/FAQ#Does_VoIP.ms_offer_alternative_ports_besides_5060_.3F

You just include the new port number after the voip.ms proxy server: losangeles.voip.ms:port

The above is for traffic going to voip.ms.  For traffic coming to you on your softphone or OBi, of course, you can configure it to use any port number you wish.

hodag

Quote from: ianobi on August 09, 2014, 08:30:01 AM
A lot of us here gave up with X-Lite a long time ago due to its unfriendly use of pop-ups etc. Bria does get a much better press.

Yes, I have been happy with Bria.  The only drawback that it seems to have is that it uses SIP or XMPP only, it would be nice to have IAX2 as well.  The other drawback is that the integration with the Outlook address book is weak (like it doesn't sort by last name so all people with a "Dr." title sort together, "Mr." together and so on, followed by first name, etc.), and it took them waaaay too long to offer support for Outlook 2013.  It is not like Microsoft just sneaks up on you with new file formats; developers know about this stuff months or years in advance.  There is no excuse for a business centered application not to work seamlessly with the MS Office suite.

Quote from: hwittenb on August 09, 2014, 09:54:05 AM

Voip.ms offers alternative ports to use besides the standard 5060

Yes, I know about those alternate ports (VOIP.MS tech support was helpful, as they always are) but it doesn't help in this case.  The proxy service blocks most ports except the most common ones (by design), but since Obi doesn't talk to 5060 I have a work around now.  ;D