News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

OBi1032 IP Phone

Started by N7AS, August 06, 2014, 09:53:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Usetheforceobiwan

I just asked the question on Amazon about Obiline support and the response was "No Obiline support (it's only for 200 series)".  That is the stupidest thing I can imagine.  What a perfect accessory inclusion that would have been with an IP phone.  And I can't fathom that the phone doesn't have enough processing power to have an Obiline connected.  Shaking head in disgust.  Sheesh.  ??? 

SteveInWA

RE:  POTS support, and some of the general comments in this thread:

You, the typical individual user/VoIP enthusiast/hacker, are not the target market for this product.  It's not meant to be a SOHO phone.  It's a business-class IP phone, comparable to the high-end models from other enterprise IP phone vendors like Cisco and Avaya.  It's intended for installations in offices with some sort of local or cloud-based PBX or managed SIP ITSP service.  In these scenarios, the business has migrated off of individual POTS lines at the desk, and is rolling out IP telephony.  Thus, a POTS connection isn't generally needed, would be redundant, and would just be wasted extra cost to implement.  I agree that adding compatibility for the OBiLINE dongle would be relatively easy, and I assume that Obihai will eventually get around to adding it.  Remember, this is a brand new product, and they are pushing new firmware updates every few days at the moment, so more features and bug fixes will rapidly appear.

Usetheforceobiwan

Quote from: SteveInWA on August 20, 2014, 07:37:18 PM
RE:  POTS support, and some of the general comments in this thread:

It's not meant to be a SOHO phone.  It's a business-class IP phone, comparable to the high-end models from other enterprise IP phone vendors like Cisco and Avaya.  It's intended for installations in offices with some sort of local or cloud-based PBX or managed SIP ITSP service.  In these scenarios, the business has migrated off of individual POTS lines at the desk, and is rolling out IP telephony.  Thus, a POTS connection isn't generally needed, would be redundant, and would just be wasted extra cost to implement.  I agree that adding compatibility for the OBiLINE dongle would be relatively easy, and I assume that Obihai will eventually get around to adding it.  Remember, this is a brand new product, and they are pushing new firmware updates every few days at the moment, so more features and bug fixes will rapidly appear.

Not for nothing but real businesses don't depend on or use Google Voice for phone service (your own words) so why in the world would a business class phone have Google Voice capabilities?  Of course these phones are for SOHO use and in my mind these phones are just Obi 2xx's with a screen, dial pad, handset and speaker and more horse power under the hood.   These things had to be designed after the Obiline was introduced and if the Obiline works with the modest resources of a 200 or 202, then the 1032 and 1062 should have no problem with it either. 

It just doesn't make sense to me that the Obiline wouldn't work, that's all.