News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

OBi to OBi Call Recorded while talking, by Unknown Source!

Started by Dandy, August 02, 2014, 10:48:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dandy

Does anyone had this issue having a conversation call recorded by an Unknown Source?? Can I find out who it was recording?

Does OBi have an handset and dialing *** code for conversation recording?

While being on an oversea call between OBi to OBi user had a voice message that "Your call it's being recorded!"

As far as I know, from a Wireless Phone connected to a OBi hub you cannot record a conversation manually.

I have no idea who it is recording an oversea family conversation and for what purpose? This is very disturbing and I feel that my privacy it is violated.  :o :o :o ??? ??? ???

I hope that NSA does not record an innocent family call that will not threaten the US Security. Also, it made me think if it is not NSA who it is that it is recording.

I'm looking forward to hear any suggestions.

BigJim_McD

Dandy,
If you use Google Voice on one of your OBi devices as a service provider, it's possible that Google Voice was triggered to record the call.

Google Voice > Settings > Calls
     Call Options Click for info   
     Enable Recording (4), Switch (*) and Conferencing options on inbound calls

When I was using Google Voice a a service provider on my OBi100, I had to disable the option to "Enable Recording (4), Etc..." as an accidental key tone would occasionally turn on voice recording.

I'm not familiar with any abilities of other service providers to record conversations while using an Obi device.
BigJimMcD

Dandy

Hi Big Jim,

I do use the Google Voice as a service provider.
Thanks for the tip. I will check Google Voice on both User Accounts. I'm pretty sure Recording is not Enabled.

I'll get back with results.

gderf

Google voice only allows recording to be started by the recipient of the call. Even if the caller has disabled call recording, the recipient can still record calls if he has it enabled in his account.

I have, on occasion, had call recording start without pressing any keys or hearing any tones. The caller on the other end was not using Google voice, so recording had to be triggered from my side somehow.
Help me OBiHai PhoneOBi. You're my only hope.

Lavarock7

Sometimes your voice can trigger it. The tone to record is not very complex (ie 2 tones at a time).
My websites: Kona Coffee: http://itskona.com and Web Hosting: http://planetaloha.info<br />A simplified Voip explanation: http://voip.planet-aloha.com

giqcass

I have accidentally triggered recording a few times.  The recordings often start with an expletive followed by "I did it again!"   :)
Long live our new ObiLords!

Dandy

Quote from: BigJim_McD on August 02, 2014, 01:37:35 PM
Dandy,
If you use Google Voice on one of your OBi devices as a service provider, it's possible that Google Voice was triggered to record the call.

Google Voice > Settings > Calls
     Call Options Click for info   
     Enable Recording (4), Switch (*) and Conferencing options on inbound calls

When I was using Google Voice a a service provider on my OBi100, I had to disable the option to "Enable Recording (4), Etc..." as an accidental key tone would occasionally turn on voice recording.

I'm not familiar with any abilities of other service providers to record conversations while using an Obi device.

Big Jim and Gderf,

I've checked my Google Voice and indeed the Recording it was checked. Therefore, the recording it was triggered by one of the options you have listed.

By now, after I've disabled the Recording option I have not experienced another episode of recording. I guess, I will have to monitor such events.

Many thanks for your input on this issue. Hope that will help others too.