News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Presale Questions!!

Started by Uzair, August 17, 2014, 02:20:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Uzair

hello
i searched alot and havnt find a single pre sales support area, even the contact support requires OBi number which is sad because we need to clear some questions before we buy the product.

im v.interested in this product but i have few questions if anyone can answer it
im thinking of buying OBi200 with wifi USB
my Questions are:

1- after the payment i make on amazon for the hardware, i wont have to pay for any monthly or yearly cost? ever??
2- will i get any money back guarantee or warranty to the product?
3- i intent on using OBi with accounts of google voice, magic jack, and freephoneline (paid money to get VOIP password), will i be able to use all these service with my OBi device?
4- i see it says on OBi200 that it has 1 phone line with 4 sip accounts, so can i use all 3 of these accounts simultaneously? maybe i add 1 more sip account to make it 4.
5- if i have all the sip accounts working on a single phone line, will i receive calls from all of them when ever anyone call to my any sip phone number?
6- if i can receive calls from any sip account, can i make calls with any sip account? if so how to choose which sip account i want to use to make the call from?
7- will Wifi USB will work on OBi 200? because on amazon it mentioned OBI2xx but below that it mentioned OBi202 so just want to confirm
8- is the OBi device of 120 or 240 voltage?
IMPORTANT QUESTION:
9- will OBi device allow VPN connection for sip accounts that have blocked ports or does it have its own proxy service buildin or something?
10- i wont get any 1 way audio or any sort of that issue will i?

Please reply to my Question ASAP because i need to buy this product rightaway

Thanks

drgeoff

1.  No ongoing cost for the hardware device you bought.

2.  Why would the sale not come under the applicable laws applicable in your jurisdiction?

3.  The OBi devices support SIP and the XMPP interface to GV.  There were concerns that Google would withdraw XMPP in May 2014 but that has not happened.  Currently there is no reliable information one way or the other.  I have no knowledge of MagicJack.

4.  The OBi200 can connect 1 phone instrument* and up to 4 ITSP accounts.  Additionally another 8 Voice Gateways can be used for making outgoing calls with SIP ITSPs who do not require SIP registration.  Subject to your internet connection having sufficient bit rate, you can have a calls on the handset and another one handled by the auto-attendant.  You can also have 3-way calls. (The mixing is performed in the OBi, not by the ITSP.)

The Obi202 has provision for two phones and can handle two simultaneous calls on the phones and a third by the AA.

5.   On the 200 all incoming calls go to the phone. On the 202 you can freely configure how incoming calls from each ITSP account are routed.  To either phone or to both.

6.  You can configure dialling plans so that calls are made via a certain ITSP account according to the dialled number.  Additionally you can over-ride that by prepending **n (where n is typically 1 to 4) to a dialled number.  For the 202 all of that can be set independently for each phone.

7.  Yes. http://www.obihai.com/docs/OBi200DS.pdf

8.  OBis usually come with a 110-240 volt PSU.

9.  No built-in proxy.

10.  1-way (and 0-way) audio is sometimes encountered but is usually solved by tweaks to your router's config.  However YMMV.  The Obis are no worse than any other ATA in that respect.

Unless the few dollars difference in cost is crucial or you are certain that you will never want the second phone capability, I would recommend the 202 over the 200.

(* To clarify, each phone jack on an Obi will support multiple phones - wired or cordless - but they simply function as extensions.)

Uzair

thanks for replying..
thou still need to clarify few things.. ill use the question number for quick reference

2- to say in simple words i will get warranty?
3- so basically i can use any sip account on OBi if i have its sip credentials?
6- you simply mean we can setup prefix to tell OBi device to dial from which sip account right..?

9- no builtin proxy but can i use any VPN service that offer pptp your DNS proxy? like setup in config page of OBi?
im asking because sometimes some sip providers block sip port so cant make calls with it.
Also can i use custom port on any of the sip accounts?

you recommend 202 over 200.. why?
as you said in your post phone port is single but phone works as extension, so i can connect 2 line cordless phone and will i then get 2 numbers dial tone on each phone line?
also tell me if you would still recommend me 202 over 200 when i dont mind receiving calls on same phone with any sip number and can call from any sip number using prefix via same phone..?

drgeoff

2.  There is consumer law and manufacturer's warranty.  They are not the same thing.  And they usually vary from country to country.  I can't advise further.

3.  Yes.

6.  Yes and no.  Dial plan can recognise certain number(s) or certain area code(s) or country code(s) and route call to a specific account without needing to dial a prefix.  Very flexible but can be daunting to configure at first.  **n method can be used instead or in addition.

9.  Yes can use custom ports different from the usual 5060.  (I have no experience of VPN or pptp so won't comment on that.)

I recommended 202 for future proofing if your requirements change.  If you are sure that 1 phone will always be sufficient then buy the 200.

The PHONE1 jack on a 202 is wired for a two-line phone.  It also supports a single line phone (and extensions up to a max REN of 5.)  The PHONE2 jack is wired for a single line phone (and extensions).

The PHONE jack on a 200 does not support a two-line phone.

Taoman

Quote from: Uzair on August 17, 2014, 02:20:34 AM

2- will i get any money back guarantee or warranty to the product?

From Obihai FAQ:

"Obihai Technology provides a one-year limited hardware warranty. Obihai warrants to customer that this product will conform to its published specifications and will be free from defects in material and workmanship at the time of delivery and for a period of 365-days thereafter."

I just bought a new Obi off Amazon and bought a 2-year warranty from SquareTrade for $5 at the same time.

azrobert

I never owned a MagicJack, but you should be able to connect it to an OBi2xx with an OBiLine adapter allowing you to make and receive calls. The OBiLine adapter is normally used to connect to a PSTN line.

drgeoff

If you need to connect a MagicJack to a LINE type port I would consider an OBi110 rather than 200 plus OBiLINE.  True, the 110 has only 2 ITSP accounts but that covers 1 GV, 1 SIP and the MagicJack on the LINE port.  (And it has the 8 Voice Gateways.)  However, the 110 cannot be Wi-Fi connected.

If you need more ITSPs it is possible to use home one of the OBi's account slots on PBXes.org.  A free account there will allow you up to 5 SIP trunks. (ie another 4.)  Even more complex to set up and another link in the chain as far as reliability is concerned.

Felix

Hi Uzair and welcome to the forum. I suggest you call or email Obihai your questions directly (anything you read here is by other Obihai customers, and in the case of dispute can't be used as Obihai's promise or guarantee).

Overall, I get a feeling that Obihai is not the right choice for you. A VoIP service that provides an adapter as part of the service would probably work better for you.

drgeoff

Quote from: Felix on August 17, 2014, 05:17:41 PMOverall, I get a feeling that Obihai is not the right choice for you. A VoIP service that provides an adapter as part of the service would probably work better for you.
Please provide a list of VoIP services which will provide as part of the service an adapter that will work with GV, MagicJack and freephoneline?  You don't need to give the list of all such providers, just a reasonable number that Uzair can research and then choose one.

Uzair

guys thanks alot for replying..

i made my mind to buy this device but when i went to amazon.com it gave me error that i cant ship to Canada..

my cart was OBi200 + WifiUSB + 2 year warranty => $74 which was pretty good but it dint let me go thru with it..
ill make new thread to talk abt it because people wont notice this post and wont be able to reply to me

hwittenb

AcroVoice is a Canadian voip provider located in Victoria BC that can provide OBihai products that can be used with any SIP provider.  Canadian shipping is "without any customs fees or border delays"

https://www.acrovoice.ca/obistore/

Uzair

Quote from: hwittenb on August 18, 2014, 08:34:05 AM
AcroVoice is a Canadian voip provider located in Victoria BC that can provide OBihai products that can be used with any SIP provider.  Canadian shipping is "without any customs fees or border delays"

https://www.acrovoice.ca/obistore/

Thankyou very much hwittenb for the advice but unfortunatlely they are out of stock for OBi200.. any other trusted canadian seller you can advice me?