News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Help with Ring.To

Started by LadyBlueInk, August 11, 2014, 09:12:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LadyBlueInk

I purchased an Obi200 recently (July 28th, 2014) and we had been using Google Voice for awhile so we started using it with our Obihai even though it was post Google's 'shutdown' of the service it still has worked fine. Everything was fantastic; calls came in crystal clear. But I did want the E911 anyway since I am home with twins. So we ported out our Google Voice number to Ring.To for continued service with the addition of E911. The number ported fine, everything is set up, the whole thing is marked as registered, the Obihai is all green lights go...

And it's a disaster. I can sometimes call out (other times I hear an electrical noise I like the electrical pulse or like high voltage chatter, then the dial tone returns). If I get through to Voicemail or a person picks up there is no sound. People I've called have said I can be heard sometimes but I cannot hear them.

Now, when I receive a call I can hear the other person, they just can't hear me.

We registered a separate Google Voice account number as our SP3 and there is, again, no issue with Google Voice. Crystal clear calling, incoming and outgoing.

I am baffled, frustrated, and have no idea how to troubleshoot this issue with Ring.To. Can someone smarter than me please help me out here with some ideas?

Thanks!

cluckercreek

I have 2 quick suggestions. One from the Obi forum & the other from Ring.to. Make sure your Obi is NOT near your monitor, modem or computer. It could possibly be just electronic noise. The other is to make sure your "Sip ALG" is disabled in your router. This could be the problem. Try that first.

LadyBlueInk

Well, I've been digging up what I can on the SIP ALG -- but I'm unable to turn it off on the Belkin [Model: F5D9231-4] I have; even their [horrible] customer service was useless. If anyone can put me towards a working solution with that model that'd be cool but I'm coming up empty even on a massive morning google quest, which only proved full of equally frustrated techies with better understanding of all this.

Any suggestions on compatible routers that work better with Obihai hardware & Ring.To service and are convenient to disable the SIP ALG?

Google Voice is standing in just fine during this whole debacle still but I want my Ring.To number back (and E911).

BigJim_McD

LadyBlueInk,

I recently upgraded my router to the Netgear Nighthawk R7000 AC1900 and it is working very well with my OBi202, OBi110 and OBi100. 

I had an initial issue with Vestalink VoIP service on the OBi202.  Google Voice and voip.ms did not have any issues, only Vestalink service was affected.

I was able issue to resolve the issue by disabling the following using the
NETGEAR Genie webpage.

:>  ADVANCED  :>  WAN Setup  :>  NAT Filtering
      :>  Checked  "Disable SIP ALG"

One of the many good features on the R7000 is that it supports QoS on both "Upstream QoS" and "Downstream QoS".  For the Upstream, I added a "Priority Rule" for each the OBi device's MAC addresses, setting at "Highest Priority".
BigJimMcD

ipse

Quote from: BigJim_McD on August 12, 2014, 11:55:41 AM
I recently upgraded my router to the Netgear Nighthawk R7000 AC1900 and it is working very well with my OBi202, OBi110 and OBi100.  

Another vote for R7000 but I took it one step further by installing Tomato (Shibby) from Day 1. QoS, VPN, working NAS (150+Mbps reads) - it has all.
Might be a bit challenging if you never had Tomato before, but it is worth the effort in the long run.

Look at it as a "future-proof" investment. Your Belkin with 2MB of flash is a dead-end, there is no 3rd party firmware for it and it seems the performance is pretty bad from what I see.
Of all the things I lost, I miss my mind the most. - Mark Twain