News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Google Voice Manual Config

Started by revengineer, August 19, 2014, 07:30:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigJim_McD

Verify the following settings.

Open the Google "GMail" account associated with your Google Voice phone number.
Open Gmail Settings by Clicking the "Gear - Icon", then select "Settings".

Look for the "Chat" Tab.
Verify that  "Chat:"     [.]  Chat on      is Selected.

BigJimMcD

Boykin

It was.  I turned if off and back on but that did not work.

BigJim_McD

See the post by SteveInWa at the following Link.

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=8457.msg55674;topicseen#new

Quoted from "SteveInWA":

"You won't see that Google Chat "pseudo phone" entry unless you first use Google Chat to make an outbound phone call from Gmail.

Chat is obsolete and it is being phased out, but, as of today, at least, you can still use it.

"You need to first successfully download and install the web browser plugin, and then enable it to "always activate", if you are using Firefox, and then you should see your avatar (the small head and shoulders or your photo, if you've added one), on your  Gmail inbox page.  Click the avatar.  If it says "revert to old chat", then click that.  If it says "try the new Hangouts", then don't click that.  Now, click the telephone handset icon to make a call.  There's more to the setup than this, including configuring your computer's audio devices.  If you can't figure it out, post over on the Google Voice forum."
BigJimMcD

g725s

Quote from: gderf on August 28, 2014, 07:35:54 AM
Quote from: RSendele on August 28, 2014, 07:24:35 AMI looked but don't see good instruction for my device on how to do the firmware update.

Dial ***6

So, am I to assume that it won't do it automatically when I setup my Obi100 on the website?

Boykin

Quote from: BigJim_McD on August 28, 2014, 01:02:18 PM
See the post by SteveInWa at the following Link.

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=8457.msg55674;topicseen#new

Quoted from "SteveInWA":

"You won't see that Google Chat "pseudo phone" entry unless you first use Google Chat to make an outbound phone call from Gmail.

Chat is obsolete and it is being phased out, but, as of today, at least, you can still use it.

"You need to first successfully download and install the web browser plugin, and then enable it to "always activate", if you are using Firefox, and then you should see your avatar (the small head and shoulders or your photo, if you've added one), on your  Gmail inbox page.  Click the avatar.  If it says "revert to old chat", then click that.  If it says "try the new Hangouts", then don't click that.  Now, click the telephone handset icon to make a call.  There's more to the setup than this, including configuring your computer's audio devices.  If you can't figure it out, post over on the Google Voice forum."

Reverting to the old chat and making another call fixed it for me. 

g725s

Quote from: Boykin on August 28, 2014, 01:54:31 PM
Reverting to the old chat and making another call fixed it for me.  

I'm not seeing revert to old chat in my Chrome browser.  Are you using Chrome?

I am able to make and receive calls on my laptop.  Just not with the Obihai100 yet.  With the Obi I still get a busy signal for outbound calls and calling my GV number goes to voice mail if I don't answer on my laptop.  I'm not at the house right now but when I get back I'll try the firmware update that gderf informed me about using ***6 and then go from there.

I have a E2000 router with the latest firmware.  someone mentioned a  "sip ALG" setting that might be in there, but I forgot the router login name and password as I've not had to access it for over a year.  I might have to do a hard reset and start over with the  router too, to check that setting.  Unless someone else here has an E2000 and know if by default that it should be good to go.

Has anyone ever heard of Cox cable internet putting something inline that would not allow VOIP?

SteveInWA

RE:  SIP ALG, I wouldn't worry about that for now.  That setting only causes problems with one-way audio, not disabling the ability to receive GV phone calls.

RE:  how to revert back to Chat:  Log into Gmail on your Chrome browser.  Look on the left side of the Gmail inbox web page, and find your avatar.  It is either a generic head and shoulders outline, or a photo or GIF or JPG that you have uploaded to represent yourself.  Click it.  A drop-down list should appear.  It will either say "try the new Hangouts", in which case, do nothing, or it will say "Revert to old Chat", in which case, click that, and then click the "Are you sure" dialog.

RSendele

Quote from: SteveInWA on August 28, 2014, 03:04:10 PM
RE:  SIP ALG, I wouldn't worry about that for now.  That setting only causes problems with one-way audio, not disabling the ability to receive GV phone calls.

RE:  how to revert back to Chat:  Log into Gmail on your Chrome browser.  Look on the left side of the Gmail inbox web page, and find your avatar.  It is either a generic head and shoulders outline, or a photo or GIF or JPG that you have uploaded to represent yourself.  Click it.  A drop-down list should appear.  It will either say "try the new Hangouts", in which case, do nothing, or it will say "Revert to old Chat", in which case, click that, and then click the "Are you sure" dialog.

Edit:

I finally found revert to old chat.  I'll see what that does and get back when it's worked out.

Also my posts are also g725s post.  Sorry if that is confusing but i gave this Obi100 unit to a friend who has on/off cell service at home.  I made some g725s posts when I was away from the house where the Obi100 is, as I have a different Gmail account on my PC that also has an Obi account.

SteveInWA

See my screenshot, attached.

RSendele

Quote from: SteveInWA on August 28, 2014, 04:18:59 PM
See my screenshot, attached.

Thanks I found that now. 

Ok it is little better.  I can now make calls out with the phones in the house.  But calling the GV number still just goes to VM and does not ring the phones.

And Steve, you are very helpful.  Very appreciative of your help on this and to everyone else you've been helping to get this going.

SteveInWA

Log into your Google Voice account on your laptop or desktop computer, not on a mobile device, and go here:

https://www.google.com/voice#phones

Make sure you have a check mark next to the newly-added Google Chat forwarding destination.

RSendele

Quote from: SteveInWA on August 28, 2014, 05:11:51 PM
Log into your Google Voice account on your laptop or desktop computer, not on a mobile device, and go here:

https://www.google.com/voice#phones

Make sure you have a check mark next to the newly-added Google Chat forwarding destination.

Thanks Steve.  That worked.  :-)

SteveInWA

Yay!  Finally.  Enjoy...

zroid

Hi Steve,

I just received obi200 and configured it via OBiTalk website. I deleted the OBiTalk device before and reset my devices. I tried to manually setup google voice via app password and it didn't work.

I re-setup obi via OBiTalk and it working fine.

My questions to you are following to understand what can be done.

1. Once the device is setup, Can I remove the device from OBiTalk website?
2. Will I be able to manage my device manually without OBiTalk i.e. firmware update and config changes?

Kindly advise, I don't want to keep my admin Password in ObiTalk website as its show in plain text.

Regards
Zroid.

SteveInWA

Hi Zroid:

Yes, if you want to both use GV and manage your OBi via the local web page, vs. the portal:

• If appropriate, remove any previous GV configurations that you had before the new, approved authentication method was released.
  • Update your OBi's firmware to the latest version, if it isn't already at that level.
  • Add GV as a service provider via the OBiTALK portal.
  • Add, configure and manage your other service provider slots as desired, either via the portal or locally.
  • Don't delete your device off of the OBiTALK website; just leave it as is.  If you were to delete it, the portal would send it a "reset to factory default command", which you don't want to happen, and, although you could go through some gyrations to prevent that, if you added it back again in the future, it might reset the device again.
  • Not to get into a tangential security debate, but I wouldn't be too concerned about the admin password being displayed, as the site is secured by HTTPS with TLS 1.2 (the latest version) and 128-bit encryption.

zroid

Thanks for quick response. I will leave the Obitalk device as it is.