News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Using Second OBi100 At Second Home

Started by Ismellelephant, August 28, 2014, 11:54:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ismellelephant

New to this and still trying to learn as much as I can. Can I configure a second OBi100 at a second home to use the same telephone number at my primary residence? I have an OBi100 at my primary residence as well, would it be as simple as making both Obi100's have the same IP address? Thanks for any info.

azrobert

Ismellelephant

Vestalink. So far they seem ok, just a bit of delay. thanks.

drgeoff

It might be as simple as putting the same Vestalink config details into both OBis.  Some SPs have no problem with multiple devices registered to the same account.  But i don't know if that is the case for Vestalink.

Having the same IP address is definitely not the way to achieve this.  Publicly routeable IP addresses must be unique.  You can give the two OBis the same private IP address on your two LANs but that won't achieve anything.  For example, I expect many millions of home PCs have the 192.168.1.2 address.

Ismellelephant

Thanks drgeoff for the info, I'll look into whats involved in putting the same Vestalink config details into both OBis. Vestalink said I would have to open a second account and I have no problem with that but I really want to use one number to ring both places.

hwittenb

You can setup the primary OBi to ring both the home phone and the second OBi on an incoming call.  You can do this by modifying the primary OBi's X_InboundCallRoute.  You can send the call over the OBiTalk network to the second OBi.

azrobert

Does Vestalink mean setting up a sub-account under your main account or a totally new account with a different phone number? If it's possible, a sub-account is the way to go. You would have 2 extensions for the same phone number. I'm not familiar with Vestalink, so I don't know if this can be done.

The following is how to use OBi100#1 and the OBiTalk network to make and receive calls from OBi100#2.

In OBi100#2
Physical Interfaces -> Phone Port
Add the following to the beginning of the OutboundCallRoute:
{(<200111111*>(Msp1)):pp},

200111111 is the OBi number of OBi100#1
This will route outbound calls from OBi100#2 to OBi100#1 using the OBiTalk network.

In OBi100#1
Voice Services -> OBiTalk Service
Add the following to the beginning of the InboundCallRoute:
{200222222>(Msp1):sp1},

200222222 is the OBi number of OBi100#2
This will bridge outbound calls from OBi100#2 to SP1

Voice Services -> SP1 Service -> X_InboundCallRoute
The default is: ph
Replace it with: {ph,pp(200222222)}

200222222 is the OBi number of OBi100#2
This will route inbound calls on SP1 to the Phone Port and OBi100#2.

Disclaimer: I did not test any of the above, so there might be errors.

Ismellelephant

Thanks for all the suggestions. I am thinking of putting the same Vestalink config details into both OBis. If I do a backup of my primary OBi100 then do a restore onto the second OBi100 will that work?

Ismellelephant

And yes Vestalink said to open total new account with a new number, I don't see a sub account option at all.

Taoman

Quote from: Ismellelephant on August 29, 2014, 09:19:34 AM
And yes Vestalink said to open total new account with a new number, I don't see a sub account option at all.

Based on your OP you don't need a new account or a new number. Vestalink does not support sub accounts but they do support multiple simultaneous UAs registered to your account.

You don't need to use the same ip address, you need to use the same SIP credentials. You should be able to set up your second Obi the same way you have the first one configured.

Disclaimer: At least that's the way things worked at Vestalink when I was a subscriber a few months ago. Things may have changed since then.

azrobert

Quote from: Ismellelephant on August 29, 2014, 08:42:32 AM
If I do a backup of my primary OBi100 then do a restore onto the second OBi100 will that work?

Backups don't include passwords, so after the restore you will have to enter the password.

Ismellelephant

Just sharing that drgeoff's suggestion of putting same Vestalink configuration on both OBi100's worked. I now have the same telephone number at two different locations working fine. The second OBi100 does show up in my Vestalink control panel so I am guessing it is ok with Vestalink. Thanks for all of the help and suggestions.