News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Multiple GV SPs Possible?

Started by MikePA, September 06, 2014, 11:40:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikePA

I have 2 Gmail accounts and have 2 GV numbers associated with one of them. I can make one of the numbers Primary and that's the one I can define to my Obi202.

I tried defining a GV number to my second Gmail account but get the error message, 'The forwarding phone on your account cannot be used to obtain a Google Voice number.' and this happens regardless of the forwarding phone number I use. I've tried my cell phone number (which I also used on my other Gmail acct), my wife's cell number and a land line.

They all get this same error message.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

BigJim_McD

It's been my experience that I can setup two different Google Voice phone numbers to use the same "Call Forwarding phone number" as long as the Call Forwarding phone number is configured as a "HOME" or as a "WORK" number.

If I attempt to add the same "Call Forwarding phone number" to a second Google Voice account as a "MOBILE" on either account, I get an error.

I have three Google Voice phone numbers each associated with a different GMail account.  I'm able to use the same "Call Forwarding phone number" for any two of the Google Voice accounts as long as I mark the phone as either "Home" or as "Work". 

If I mark the "Call Forwarding phone number" as "Mobile", I receive an error message when I attempt to add to the 2nd Voice account.

Number in use  {Example of error message}
+17xx6xx9123: This number is already in use as a cell phone on another Google Voice account.
Reclaim this number

####  Example from my "Voice - Settings - Phones" (with phone # altered)

Logged into Google Voice account associated with my "Virtual Office" ph#.
:>    https://www.google.com/voice/b/1#phones
Google - Voice - Settings - Phones
vOFc voip.ms
(7xx) 6xx-9123 - Work

Logged into Google Voice account associated with my "Business" ph#.
:>    https://www.google.com/voice/b/3#phones
Google - Voice - Settings
Biz2 voip.ms
(7xx) 6xx-9123 - Work

I'm not certain if you can use the same forwarding phone number or not when attempting to obtain a new Google Voice phone number.  If, not try to find a phone number that you have access to and can use temporary, then delete after you have added another Call forwarding phone number to the account.
BigJimMcD

SteveInWA

Quote from: MikePA on September 06, 2014, 11:40:42 AM
I have 2 Gmail accounts and have 2 GV numbers associated with one of them. I can make one of the numbers Primary and that's the one I can define to my Obi202.

I tried defining a GV number to my second Gmail account but get the error message, 'The forwarding phone on your account cannot be used to obtain a Google Voice number.' and this happens regardless of the forwarding phone number I use. I've tried my cell phone number (which I also used on my other Gmail acct), my wife's cell number and a land line.

Hi Mike:

During the initial number selection process, you'll need to use a telephone number that hasn't been used before as a forwarding number.

Google does this to attempt to limit abuse of the service, by people claiming multiple numbers, which is a violation of the ToS.

As an aside, although it's not prohibited, we strongly discourage business use of GV.  There is no guaranteed service level, no direct customer support, and occasional service degradation or outage does occur.  Any telephone service cost saved by using GV can be quickly offset by the negative impact to your business.

MikePA

Hi Steve - Thanks for the replies! I'll try the suggestions in your first reply.