News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Unable to reconnect to Google Voice

Started by _S_S, September 02, 2014, 09:38:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

_S_S

Google Voice  (GV) has been configured as Service Provider 1. GV password was changed recently. When I logged into OBI site to update the GV password, the SP1 configuration was accidentally deleted.

OBi100 Device shows as offline even though there are no issues with my internet connection. I unplugged and re-plugged the device (OBi100)  but it did not resolve the connection issue

Power light  (left side), it turned red once when I first plugged it n. The light on center  (internet connection) keeps  blinking. The light on right side is off

I have not deleted the device in OBiTALK yet.

How do I reestablish SP1 connection and reconnect to GV?

Any assistance in how to solve this issue is greatly appreaciate.

BigJim_McD

_S_S, 
The Google Voice configuration procedure has recently changed and many of us have had to reconfigure Google Voice on our OBi devices.  During updating the Google Voice service, a new firmware update is required and is part of the OBiTALK provisioning procedure.

See Posts: 328  -  by:  SteveInWA  -  « Reply #9 on: August 20, 2014, ... »

Link:    http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=8456.msg55553;topicseen#msg55553

Re: Google Voice Manual Config

Quote from:  SteveInWA Posts:  328   « Reply #9 on: August 20, 2014, ... »

"Guys:  if you want to use Google Voice with an OBi device, "don't fight the power":  use the OBiTALK portal to update to the latest firmware and manage the service provider slots.  This method is required to use Google Voice with OBi devices.  Trying to hack this on the local web interface is just going to cause a mess, and a potential security exposure, and there is no good reason to use a downlevel release of firmware at this time.  The "I hate the portal and how dare Obihai update my firmware" attitude is really no longer realistic.  The firmware is solid."

"Do this:"

"Open your web browser.  Log into the Google account you want to use with GV and your OBi (by "log in", I mean sign into any Google app, such as Gmail or Google Voice or Hangouts, so that your browser's session cookies are showing Google that you are logged into the account)."

"Open a separate browser tab (Ctrl-T), and on that tab, log into your OBiTALK portal page.  If you have an existing GV service provider slot defined on your OBi device, delete it, and wait for the OBi device to be remotely rebooted.  Then, add the GV service provider again.  When you go through the procedure, it will use OAUTH 2.0 to authenticate to your GV account.  This will pop up a window, from your Google account, and it will ask you to approve giving OBiTALK permission for offline access to your account.  Once you do that, the OBiTALK provisioning system will go through the authentication process with Google, and it will automatically download the necessary firmware to your device, if it's not already installed.  You will see a spinner icon while this is happening.  You can't make this work properly without using the portal."

"Seriously:  don't try to hack this.   Just follow the procedure if you want to use GV.  If you are intent on using the local portal, you can disable updates AFTER you complete this procedure, but you will need to enable it again the next time you need to change your Google Voice configuration, so don't forget that the portal will over-write any futzing you did on the local web page."

BigJimMcD

_S_S

Thanks for you input but it did NOT help my situation. I can't update my firmware as my device is still showing as OFFLINE even with internet connection running perfectly.

I have also tried to connect another 12V power adapter to the OBi. And see if
the OBi device power LED can light up and change from RED to GREEN, and
after a minute later, but it did not help either

I hear no dialing tone either.

Any further assistance with this is greatly appreciate.

BigJim_McD

I suggest that you:
1)  Remove your OBi device from OBiTALK.
2)  Do a full Factory reset.
3)  Add your OBi device back onto OBiTALK.
4)  Configure Google Voice.

See the following Post 1223 by "giqcass".

Re: Obi going faulty or some other error with vestalink

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=7888.msg51316#msg51316

Quote from:  giqcass - Post:  1223  -  « Reply #1 on: May 03, 2014, .... »

"You are not doing the reset correctly. Follow these instructions closely.  After step 5 try doing the Vestalink auto setup again. Do not re add it to the Obitalk portal."

"How do I perform a factory reset?
The first step in performing a full reset of the OBi is to remove the device from your OBiTALK web portal account. The second step is to depress the physical reset pin (button), found on the bottom of the OBi, to reset the settings on the actual device. After the OBi is fully removed from OBiTALK and reset with the physical pin, you may re-add the device to your OBiTALK account. You will also have to re-configure any service-specific credentials (username and password) to be used with the OBi device. Follow these steps to remove and reset your OBi:"

"Step 1: Remove the OBi From the OBiTALK Web Portal
1. Sign in to www.obitalk.com and select the device you are going to reset from the OBi Dashboard.
2. Select the "Delete Device" button located on the right side of the screen. You will be prompted to confirm. Click "OK".
3. After a few seconds, you will see a message stating, "The device was deleted successfully." Proceed to Step 2.

Step 2: Reset the OBi Device Using the Physical Pin (Button)
1. With a paper clip (or similar) depress the reset pin located at the bottom of the OBi.
2. While keeping the reset pin depressed, plug-in the power cord.
First, the Power LED will turn red, then become sold green.
Keep depressing the reset pin while this is occurring.
3. After 10 seconds, the Power LED will start to flash green (slowly).
You may now release the reset pin.
4. Within 5 seconds, the Power LED will start to flash green rapidly for about 3 seconds.
5. Next the Power LED will change to red briefly indicating the OBi is now rebooting."

"The factory reset is now complete. You may now proceed to re-add the device to your OBiTALK account.
Important Note: You will need to re-configure any service-specific credentials (username and password) to be used with the OBi device."
BigJimMcD

_S_S

nicmart

Worked for my SP1 GV number, but not for SP2 GV number. Might be some Google setting, but who knows.

SteveInWA

Note that the new procedure depends on using the Google Voice logged-on session in your other browser tab to gain access to that specific account's credentials.  So, if you have two different GV accounts, you need to log off of GV1 first, (and close and reopen your browser for good measure if it still fails), and then log onto GV2, open a new tab, log onto your OBi, and repeat the setup procedure for GV2 on SP2.

Disclaimer:  I haven't tried this myself on a 1xx OBi, but I believe it should work.

p2pvoice

Hello SteveInWA:

I have several Obi100 devices (friends and family) logged into GV the old unsecured way. All devices continue to work. Should I update the firmaware? And, if I do, will I loose my existing set-up?

Thank you so much.

Supermike

I had the same experience... my phone was working fine the old way with no issues. After receiving Obihai's "Great News" email today, I logged in to check my device. It forced an update, and now it will not connect to GV on SP1. I deleted SP1 and tried to reconfigure, but I think it may be confused by the fact I have more than one Google account.  It just says "Configuring" and keeps churning away... ::) :-\

gderf

Log out of all your GV accounts if you have more than one. Then log into only to the the one you wish to use with GV before configuring your OBi for it.
Help me OBiHai PhoneOBi. You're my only hope.

jimates

Quote from: gderf on September 11, 2014, 03:00:07 PM
Log out of all your GV accounts if you have more than one. Then log into only to the the one you wish to use with GV before configuring your OBi for it.
Yes, make sure you are not logged into any google account other than the one you want to use for configuring the device. It will auto detect your current sign in and use that for configuration. I found this out as soon as the new upgrade came out.
I wound up with an obi configured with the wrong google account. For me everything worked great except the wrong caller id went out and all my call logs were on the wrong google voice account. I had to create a support ticket and have Obihai reset my configuration and then revisit my page and it auto set up eveything.

p2pvoice

SuperMike:
I did log into Obitalk to check the device status. It didn't force any update and GV is still "connected" on SP1 and working.

BTW, there was no yellow triangle for the firmware update either. Do not recall when I did the last firmware update.

SteveInWA

Hi Guys:

Yes, absolutely, delete your old GV service provider configuration(s), upgrade the firmware, and follow the procedure we've discussed previously to set up GV using OAUTH 2.0 authentication.  This is the technology underlying Obihai's announcement yesterday, and is what Obihai and Google worked out for "official" support going forward.

This is a much more secure way to give third-party devices controlled access to your GV account.

I tested it many times during the beta cycle, and it's solid.  The problems reported by a couple of users are probably due to either not cleanly removing the old GV SP configuration, or being logged into the wrong, or multiple Google accounts, or possibly hardware or network-related.  As long as you follow the sequence of steps, you should be fine.

Enjoy!

Supermike

Thanks all for the replies... this is really giving me fits. I've signed out of Google on both IE and Chrome, and disconnected my Google account from Chrome. I deleted my browsing history and temp files, and deleted my old Google Voice config from SP1. Unfortunately, the update to my Obi device occurred before I could delete the old config, because I didn't even know it was going to happen - there was no yellow triangle, it just suddenly said it was updating and to wait.

Currently, the status of my device in Obitalk is green (online). I do not have a config assigned to SP1, but I DO have a Callcentric config set up on SP2 for 911. The status for that is "Registered".

When I try to set up GV, I first get the "Google Voice™ Additional Terms of Service". I accept and then enter my area code for 10-digit dialing, and click "Finish Setup". Then a pop-up prompts me to connect my Google account. The main request is to "Have offline access", which I allow. It then goes to my dashboard with a status of 'Configuring'. At the top, it says "Configuration has been updated successfully." It sits at 'Configuring' for a VERY long time with the little spinning circle.

BUT... it never works. Eventually the status changes to "Service Not Configured."  ??? :'(

SteveInWA

Hey Mike, that's no good.  It sounds like you are doing everything correctly.

I'd suggest deleting your OBi completely off of the OBiTALK portal and then factory-resetting your OBi box before trying this again.

Then, log onto your Google Voice account on your computer's browser and go here:  https://www.google.com/voice#phones

Confirm that you see the exact two words "Your number", and not "Access number" or "Get a Voice number" on the left side of the page.  Confirm that you have a working, valid forwarding phone number on the right side of the page.  If not, stop and fix things.

Next, stay logged into that GV account.  Press Ctrl-T to open a new browser tab.  Log into the OBiTALK portal and re-add the OBi box (using the **5 device discovery procedure), and then configure your GV account as a SP.

Supermike

Quote from: SteveInWA on September 11, 2014, 08:27:28 PM
I'd suggest deleting your OBi completely off of the OBiTALK portal and then factory-resetting your OBi box before trying this again.

Thanks for the feedback, Steve... that was my step of last resort, and it appears to have worked! The only reason I didn't want to do it is because I had previously confirmed with the local 911 service that my phone was functioning properly, so I didn't want to screw that up.

After deleting my OBi completely and performing the factory reset per the steps outlined by 'giqcass' (in BigJim_McD's post), I added it back to OBiTALK and selected the "configure for Google Voice" option. At first I was afraid the result was going to be the same. As before, it only prompted me to "Have offline access", which I allowed. It then sat at 'Configuring' for a VERY long time with the little spinning circle before FINALLY returning "Connected".  8) :D

It didn't take me long to reconfigure SP2 for Callcentric 911, and the Callcentric portal shows the phone as Connected, so I'm pretty confident it should work as before.

Thanks to all for the suggestions and help! If anyone else has difficulties, this is definitely the route to go.

markusmobius

It's sufficient, by the way, to just open an incognito window in Chrome (or FF and IE) and goto www.obitalk.com and login with username/password (rather than Google authentication). Then, when you connect a GV account you can authenticate with whatever account you want to use.

tiff

I have 2 GV accounts and used to be configured as SP1 and SP2. In May, like many others, I had to switch to another provider and had my GV#1 forwarded to set up SP1 and not using SP2. To make sure everything works this time, can I just add back my GV#2 to SP2 before I reconfigure SP1 with my GV#1?

From what I read, when I add back GV it will start the oauth process automatically, will that affect my current setting on SP1 (non-GV)? If I successfully add back my GV#2 to SP2, is there a problem to change SP1 to my GV#1?

Thanks!

SteveInWA

Unless you've set up your OBi in "approved service provider-managed mode", you won't run into any problems.  I've tested deleting and adding GV as a service provider on SP4, for example, and it doesn't do anything at all to the other SP configurations.  It's no different than adding or removing a SIP configuration on a SP slot.

Users that might run into problems are those that signed up for Anveo or PhonePower, for example, using Obihai's managed service provider process (where it takes over your OBi and configures it to that ITSP).  Someone in that situation will have to chime in; I haven't dealt with that.  The scenario I am talking about:  you signed up for one of the "approved service providers", and it configured SP1.  Then, you manually configure another SP.   Perhaps someone will tell their "war story" here.

tiff

I forwarded my GV#1 to a localphone number and put it on SP1. I'm confused after reading posts whether I need to do a factory reset on my Obi110 to bring back my GV#1 (SP1) and GV#2 (SP2)? Or, I just need to change the set up on GV (with  Gchat activated)? Do I need to go through the oauth process to have them to work?