News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Does new Google Voice integration still use Google Chat?

Started by pdx_obi_user, September 11, 2014, 06:23:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pdx_obi_user

I had my Obi100 working with Google voice for a couple of years using the forward call to google chat to Obitalk configuration process.

I always wished I could have Google Voice work with the Obi100 AND answer calls on my computer. 

I configured my Obi100 for the new Google Voice integration today and was very happy it did not seem to involve Google chat.  But I still cannot receive calls on my computer.

Is the Google Chat phone still used to send calls to the Obi100? 

Or should I be able to use both the Obi100 and receive calls on my computer via Google Voice / Gmail Talk?

gderf

Google voice still uses Chat. I can answer calls on my PC using Google Talk, my OBi, and my cell phone, but apparently not Gmail.
Help me OBiHai PhoneOBi. You're my only hope.

pdx_obi_user

So if I deselect forward calls to Google Chat will it stop forwarding calls to my Obi100?

I will look into Google Talk, I thought the only option I had for receiving calls was through Gmail Chat.

Thanks

pdx_obi_user

Thank you. 

Google Talk works awesome.  I now have all the functionality I have been looking for.

When I disabled call forwarding to Google Chat it appears that it stops forwarding the calls to my Obi device.

gderf

Yes, disabling Google Chat as a forward will not ring your OBi, unless another forward is configured to do so. Even with Chat disabled as a forward, you can still make outgoing GV calls.
Help me OBiHai PhoneOBi. You're my only hope.

dranon

HOW do you make it ring your computer? What do you have to setup? ???

mo832

Quote from: gderf on September 11, 2014, 07:01:49 PM
Yes, disabling Google Chat as a forward will not ring your OBi, unless another forward is configured to do so. Even with Chat disabled as a forward, you can still make outgoing GV calls.

In the above scenario, what method is used to make outgoing calls from the Obi if Google Chat is deselected? Is it still going through Google Chat when it makes the outgoing call?

SteveInWA

Yes, it is.  The check mark on the Google Voice Settings page, Phones tab, is to enable inbound calls.  Having the Chat forwarding "pseudo phone" listed, regardless of check-mark status, enables outbound calls.