News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

OBI202 with no firewall ?

Started by Gavo, September 09, 2014, 02:56:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gavo

Hello,

I have a little project to provide two phone lines to a windfarm. The site is going to be fed by a microwave link and internet access (to the windfarm "comms room") is simply going to be via a 5 port switch provided by the ISP. The IP addressing supplied by the ISP is in the 172 (i.e. private range) and each of these seven 172.x.x.x addresses have a strict one-to-one NAT to public addresses at the ISP's HQ (where the microwave terminates). To keep things simple and avoid any double NAT issues I am proposing simply to plug an OBI202 into this switch and assign one of the 172.x.x.x addresses to its LAN interface.
One drawback is that there will be no firewalling whatsoever. Is the 202 inherently secure enough (bear in mind I will disable access to it from the LAN) to be connected like this ?

Cheers

Gavin

Mango

The OBi202 contains a router and is designed to be connected directly to the internet.  As long as you don't configure it to expose the web server to the internet, I expect it would be sufficiently safe.