Making call from outside the USA thru GV with 2 Obis

Started by BillC, May 11, 2011, 12:36:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BillC

Hi everyone, I have a question regarding making calls from outside the US through Obis with 1 Obi set in the USA and one set up internationally. I read somewhere in the forum that you are able to that but never figured out the exact way to do it. Would I have to set up circle of trust between the two obis? If so, what do I do after that. Any comments will be appreciated. Thanks.

jimates

#1
If the devices are in the same account they automatically get access to each other's services.

If devices are in separate accounts:
Put the remote Obi in the circle of trust of the US obi. This will give the remote Obi access to all services available on the US obi.

Without any further setup the remote obi will get the auto attendant when calling into the US obi, and calls can be completed using 2 stage calling. Two stage is where the caller chooses 2, to make a new call and then dials the same as from the phone connected to the US obi. (meaning dialing 7, 10 or 11 digits as required by the service. Calls dialed without a prefix will go out on the default line. prepending **1, **2  or **8 will route the call out of the chosen line. Speed dial also works from the remote obi.)

For direct dialing from the remote Obi:
The US obi should automatically appear in the speed dial list of the remote obi. (example speed dial location 4)
From the remote Obi dial  4 * 1 xxx xxx xxxx and the call will be placed to the number using the default outgoing line set for the US Obi. If the default service accepts 7 or 10 digit dialing you can use that instead of the 11 digit example.

Dialing 4* from the remote Obi sets the Obi in speed dial location 4, as the default gateway for the call. After pressing 4* dial the same as from the phone port connected to the US obi. (example: 4* **8 xxx xxx xxxx sends the call out on the line port of the US Obi.)

Kaizer

A remote Obi in China is added to my circle of trust (Obi USA). For the remote, I've set up speed dial 8 as the Obi USA. Works great. Remobe Obi, dials 8*plus us number#. However when I call from US Obi to remote Obi, I am not getting the AA. I want to access the AA to make a remote Obi LINE call out. At first I thought the problem was LINE port was not connected yet. However, with ObiON login as the remote Obi, dialing into the remote Obi from ObiON gets the AA. Ofc trying to call out gets the error message "there is no service" as the LINE port is not connected yet. What am I doing wrong?

RonR

Quote from: Kaizer on May 17, 2011, 10:37:59 PM
A remote Obi in China is added to my circle of trust (Obi USA). For the remote, I've set up speed dial 8 as the Obi USA. Works great. Remobe Obi, dials 8*plus us number#. However when I call from US Obi to remote Obi, I am not getting the AA. I want to access the AA to make a remote Obi LINE call out. At first I thought the problem was LINE port was not connected yet. However, with ObiON login as the remote Obi, dialing into the remote Obi from ObiON gets the AA. Ofc trying to call out gets the error message "there is no service" as the LINE port is not connected yet. What am I doing wrong?

Kaiser,

Take a look at your remote OBi's OBiTALK Service InboundCallRoute.  You should see a rule something like the following:

{200123456:aa}

where 200123456 is the OBiON's OBiTALK number that reaches the Auto Attendant.

You can add your local OBi's number so that it goes to the Auto Attendant also:

{(200123456|200234567):aa}

where 200234567 is your local OBi's OBiTALK number.

jimates

adding the remote Obi to your COT gives it access to your AA. You have to also add your Obi to the remote Obi's COT in order to get access to it's AA.

see this post and those that follow
http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=366.msg2024#msg2024

Kaizer

thanks. adding to the remotes COT did the trick. i get the following error when trying to view the thread below:

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=366.msg2024#msg2024
The topic or board you are looking for appears to be either missing or off limits to you.

in any case, if i add someone to my COT, it would make more sense to auto added me to their COT. should be 2 way street by default.

RonR

Quote from: Kaizer on May 17, 2011, 11:08:28 PM
in any case, if i add someone to my COT, it would make more sense to auto added me to their COT. should be 2 way street by default.

I would disagree.  Just because you're willing to let me make calls through your OBi doesn't necessarily mean I'm willing to let you make calls through mine.

It's nothing personal.   :)

jimates

#7
Quote from: Kaizer on May 17, 2011, 11:08:28 PM
thanks. adding to the remotes COT did the trick. i get the following error when trying to view the thread below:

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=366.msg2024#msg2024
The topic or board you are looking for appears to be either missing or off limits to you.

in any case, if i add someone to my COT, it would make more sense to auto added me to their COT. should be 2 way street by default.

Laizer,
Sorry for posting that link. That post is in a beta testers thread that only shows up for beta testers.

here at the 3 posts


Quote from: jimates on March 16, 2011, 08:21:46 PM
I got it working right.

The circle of trust doesn't work both ways. I assumed that belonging to the circle created equal access for both parties, it doesn't.

If I invited Obi #2 and they accepted, then Obi #2 was added to my call route and could place direct calls through me. But I was not added to their call route.

Obi #2 invited me to their circle and I accepted. Then my number was added to their call route and I was able to direct dial through Obi #2.

Quote from: MichiganTelephone on March 18, 2011, 05:38:37 AM
As I noted in the other thread, there may be situations where you want to give someone access to a "Circle of Trust" without necessarily having reciprocity.  But also, would you want just any random users to be able to add themselves to your CoT just by adding you to theirs?  If that were allowed, you might be real surprised to find out who's using your phone service and where they are calling!  :o

So, just because you give someone access to your CoT, it doesn't follow that you get access to theirs.

Quote from: jimates on March 18, 2011, 05:47:57 AM
LOL, so it is really a semi-circle

Cruize

Why use 2 OBis in the process?? Just connect directly to GV with the OBi outside of the US. Works perfectly and probably better than having the call go though 2 OBis first.

jimates

Quote from: Cruize on May 19, 2011, 02:25:12 AM
Why use 2 OBis in the process?? Just connect directly to GV with the OBi outside of the US. Works perfectly and probably better than having the call go though 2 OBis first.
Google may not allow IP Addresses outside the US to connect.

Cruize

Works fine here (Denmark). Normally Google just blocks creation of GV accounts outside of US, but if you first have one it is no problem.

jimates

according to google, google voice service is not available outside the US.  Some have reported being able to use google services even though it isn't suppose to work.

Plenty have reported no being able to access services such as google voice, google chat in gmail, etc.

So it is a YMMV, that is why we don't tell people it will work.

Cruize

QuotePlenty have reported no being able to access services such as google voice, google chat in gmail, etc.

That is true, but yet I am almost 100% confident that it will work in most places using the OBi.
If I log into my Gmail account from outside the US I don't have the ability to use google voice unless I do a little trick  ;D which doesn't involve any kind of proxy. Unfortunately if I post the little trick on a public website it will probably no longer be available.

So Google seems to try to avoid access to the webpart, but not the actual service.


jimates

Quote from: Cruize on May 19, 2011, 02:25:12 AM
Why use 2 OBis in the process?? Just connect directly to GV with the OBi outside of the US. Works perfectly and probably better than having the call go though 2 OBis first.

Quote from: Cruize on May 20, 2011, 11:43:30 PM
QuotePlenty have reported no being able to access services such as google voice, google chat in gmail, etc.

That is true, but yet I am almost 100% confident that it will work in most places using the OBi.
If I log into my Gmail account from outside the US I don't have the ability to use google voice unless I do a little trick  ;D which doesn't involve any kind of proxy. Unfortunately if I post the little trick on a public website it will probably no longer be available.

So Google seems to try to avoid access to the webpart, but not the actual service.


So giving your first statement, without including your "trick", was a waste. And makes everything else correct, using google voice outside the US is YMMV>

Cruize

#14
You don't need the trick to connect using an OBi. Only if you want to change Google Voice settings on the web.

Using 2 OBis is a waste  :D

If you look in the post http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=269.0

You will see that only Egypt is reported as having issues. Setup has been tested and found ok in the following countries:
Australia, China, Denmark, HK, India, Indonesia, Japan, Panama, Philippines, Singapore, South Korea, Sri Lanka


jimates

#15
As I said

Quote from: jimates on May 20, 2011, 01:57:37 PM
according to google, google voice service is not available outside the US.  Some have reported being able to use google services even though it isn't suppose to work.

Plenty have reported no being able to access services such as google voice, google chat in gmail, etc.

So it is a YMMV, that is why we don't tell people it will work.

Usually when a company says it will work, then they have to provide support for it when it doesn't. It is much easier to tell it like it is. If you find that it works, then great. That is the purpose in the forum.

Perhaps instead of just posting,
Why use 2 OBis in the process?? Just connect directly to GV with the OBi outside of the US. Works perfectly and probably better than having the call go though 2 OBis first

you could have provided a link in that post.


Unlike yours, our posts were directly related to the question/situation of the OP.

Cruize

QuoteUnlike yours, our posts were directly related to the question/situation of the OP.

So was mine. I was showing him a better solution.   ;)