News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

GV, SIP(s), and Bria Softphone(s)

Started by jthacker48, May 11, 2011, 01:06:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jthacker48

I have multiple devices (iPhone 4, iPad, Android Phone, Laptop, HTPC).  It's been my goal to be able to use all of these devices for communicaiton if I choose to do so.  In addition, I wanted to do it for free or as close to it as possible.  I live in Dallas where I'm lucky enough to have great mobile bandwidth options and I've found that 90% of the time or more I'm somewhere with access to Wifi anyway.  I am going to buy a mobile hotspot device and an unlimited data plan with limited to no minutes on the plan.  I will use that device to provide internet for my smart devices when wifi isn't available. 

I have decided to use Counterpath's Bria softphone on all of my devices.  I've found the Obi softphone apps to be far too limited and non-functional to support real-world use. 

Here is my configuration:

SP1: GV
SP2: GetOnSip (obi110@getonsip.com)

Voice Gateway(?): VoIP.ms (XXXXobi110@dallas.voip.ms)  Any advice or does it even matter which gateway I put this account on?

I've got Bria soft phones set-up on the following devices:

iPad: smartgroup@getonsip.com (primary SIP)
        XXXipad@dallas.voip.ms (secondary SIP)
iPhone:  smartgroup@getonsip.com (primary SIP)
            XXXiphone@dallas.voip.ms (secondary SIP)
Android:  smartgroup@getonsip.com (primary SIP)
             XXXandroid@dallas.voip.ms (secondary SIP)

The reason I chose getonsip as primary is because they offer one login that can be used on unto 10 devices and because they offer 722 codec.

Using GetOnSIP, I'll call SP2 on the Obi and reach AA then dial out via SP1 for free calls to the PSTN. The exact opposite will happen on incoming calls.  Calls will come in on SP1 and simultaneously ring the Dect phone connected to the Obi while dialing out on SP2 to jthacker48@getonsip.com which will ring all my smartphones via Bria.  If not answered, all calls should go to GV VM.  The voip.ms account gives me individual sip uris so if I ever need to isolate the dialing to each softphone then I can do that. 

I've got SP1 and SP2 working on Obi.  I've got Bria and the 2 sip providers (GetOnSip.com and VoIP.ms) installed on all of the softphones.  I have not setup VoIP.ms as a voice gateway yet.  In addition, I'm not sure if there is a way to make the process of calling out less tedious than I'm currently doing which is:

1) Using GetOnSip.com account on my Bria device(s)
2) Dialing into SP2 (separate GetOnSip.com) account
3) Option 2 in AA
4) Enter Pin#
5) **1 (555) 555-5555 to dial outbound on SP1 (GV)

It's a lot of work and I still don't get the benefit and I still have the problem of not being able to use my address book on my phone.  I believe that both the Bria and Obi have the ability to build in dialing plans.  I'm not sure if they can handle that level of complexity and pausing though or if it would have to be a manual process.  Can anyone who has experience with this please shed some light on this for me?

And on incoming calls to my GV number, do I need to have it dial my softphones via SP2 or can it dial them directly?