News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Porting my Callcentric number back to Google Voice.

Started by lailoken, September 14, 2014, 08:13:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lailoken

Now that Google Voice is supported again, I would like to port my number back to be able to receive SMS support again. (It was a Google Voice and my primary cell phone number for many years.)

I did try and initiate the transfer on the Google Voice side, and resulted in the following error message:

Porting your mobile number to Google Voice is unavailable
Your mobile number can not be ported at this time.
- We currently don't support porting from your carrier. We apologize and are working on adding support for more carriers.

Now what? What are our options? Based on Google's track record they are unlikely to even spend time on this small category of users.

nlurker

Your only option may be a two-step port.  First to a carrier that Google does support, then from there to Google.  PITA

SteveInWA

Google Voice can only port in mobile numbers.  Your Callcentric number is now a land line.  So, you would need to first port it into a prepaid mobile phone carrier (GoPhone or T-Mobile work best), using either any old unlocked GSM phone and a SIM from the carrier, or the cheapest "burner phone" they sell. 

Wait a week or so for the carrier database to get updated to reflect that it's now a mobile number, then port it into GV.  Of course, if you don't want to do this, you are welcome to get a new number from GV.

Note:  GoPhone accounts do not display the necessary account information to the customer.  You need to contact GoPhone customer care, and specifically ask them "I need to port out my GoPhone number.  What is the account number I need to use to authenticate my account during porting?"  Your PIN is the PIN used to look at your account information on the GoPhone website.

See:  https://support.google.com/voice/answer/1065667