News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Using a combo of GV and SIP provider with same GV acct/phone no.

Started by mo832, September 14, 2014, 06:03:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mo832

With the "official" return of GV to the Obi setup, I would like to clean up my temporary setup from when GV was about to expire. I had used the advice on this board to get a Callcentric account and got the added bonus of enhanced Caller ID with name. I've forgotten most of the tricks I learned (since I didn't have to keep tweaking things once it was settled), so now I have a reminder/question:

Is it possible on a SINGLE SP slot, to have GV set up as the service provider for outgoing calls, and have incoming calls set up for a CC DID number, so that the full CC Caller ID info shows up for an incoming call?

What would I do in my GV setup page regarding the  "forward calls to" section where Google Chat is selected?

Edit: So I went back and looked at some old threads. I found where I asked almost the exact same question before. (sorry about that!) The answer seems to be you can only have one service per SP. So let me revise the question to the following:

If you have a single GV account with a single GV telephone number (DID), and you uncheck "forward calls to google chat" and select another forwarding number, does that still allow you to make OUTGOING calls thru GV from your Obi handset (on the same GV account with the same GV number passed as the outgoing CID) ??

So it looks like this:

Obi SP1 phone service: Google Voice (for outgoing calls)

Google Voice settings page: forward calls to 516-xxx-xxxx (callcentric DID) ---> rings to Obi SP2

Is this allowed and can I pick up the Obi-connected phone and dial straight out using GV as the outgoing call service?

[the Google Chat check box is what confuses me... I can't separate in my mind how this feature handles different direction of calls (outgoing vs. incoming). I.E. once you uncheck Google Chat it seems like you would lose the ability to place a call thru it.]