News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Turn Obi110 "Off" via ObiTalk portal so I can receive calls via Gmail in IE ?

Started by oobi99, September 24, 2014, 02:30:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oobi99

Is there a way to "turn the Obi110 off" in the ObiTalk.com portal so that I can get phone calls placed to my GV number to ring and alert me in the Gmail window?  Would I also need to uncheck the Forward to Google Chat in GV settings to get this to work?  I've tried various things (probably all wrong) but I'm unable to get incoming phone calls to GV to ring me in Gmail like they did before I bought the Obi110 several years ago. I never used ObiTalk.com to set anything up before this month and I had to do so in order to get GV to ring the phone on the Obi110 after it quit working in May.  Thanks for any help and info you can provide!

SteveInWA

Hi:

You can leave your OBi enabled, and let it ring there, and receive calls in Gmail.

To do this, use Hangouts instead of Chat on your PC.  Log into Gmail (not GV) and look on the left side of the page for your avatar (it's either a generic head and shoulders or a photo you uploaded).  Click it.  Click the link that says "Try the new Hangouts."

Hangouts works independently from Chat.

oobi99

Steve,

Thanks so much for your advice on this - I was not aware of the way Hangouts worked independently.

What I am looking for is a way to log into ObiTalk.com and find the setting that will essentially "turn the Obi110 off" so that incoming calls to my Google Voice number will not ring the Obi110 and that call will instead ring through to Gmail chat window where I am logged into it in Explorer browser. Hopefully, it's just a toggle setting somewhere that I haven't found yet and would be easy enough to log back in to ObiTalk and reverse.

Your solution you posted might work for a different scenario but what I am looking for, specifically for my case, is disabling that telephone back at home from ringing or otherwise indicating a call is coming in, and for me to be able to hear and accept the call in Gmail Chat in Internet Explorer, without switching to Hangouts or otherwise enabling Hangouts.

Thanks so much for any advice anyone has on this setting I am seeking.

azrobert

You can disable the GV trunk via OBi Expert in OBiTalk.
Assuming GV is defined on SP1:

Voice Services ->  SP1 Service -> Enable: Unchecked