News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Caller id pass through on Obitalk network.

Started by jimates, May 12, 2011, 11:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimates

When the Obi forwards calls on the Obitalk network to another Obi or to a softphone it would be great to have the caller id passed also. The Obi gets the caller id and passes it to the phone port, why can't it also pass it on to another end point when forking the call.

QBZappy

I also agree. The CID is very useful to everyone. I think most would expect this behavior on a forwarded call.
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

jimates

I can understand the possible restrictions when the call goes out on one of the sip lines (ex; can't get around google). But when the call is on the Obitalk service I think it is quite possible.

codex22

Thanks for picking this up!

I think this is a crucial feature. It can easily be secured by configuring the receiving OBI device to allow the caller id only from specific other OBI devices.

Without that, all those bridging scenarios don't really make sense, at least to me.

Regards

Michael

codex22

Does somebody know how much load polling the callstatus html page would put on the OBI?

I'm thinking about scraping the caller id from the callstatus page and send it to the remote location by some other means, making it possible to get the caller id this way.

This only makes sense if polling can occur often enough, but it shouldn't affect the device's performance. Any ideas?

QBZappy

codex22,

It's been done. Look up network caller ID thread by MichiganTelephone.
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

codex22

Quote from: QBZappy on May 14, 2011, 09:56:23 PM
codex22,

It's been done. Look up network caller ID thread by MichiganTelephone.

Thanks for the pointer, this will come handy. I need to get the caller id to a remote location, though - but the script seem to be extensible to do whatever I want once the information is ready.

Was thinking about something like Amazon SNS so that I can get the information from wherever (and whatever device) I want.

Now I only need some time to do it ...