News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Update to OBi200

Started by ceg3, November 06, 2014, 06:09:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveInWA

Quote from: Mango on November 07, 2014, 03:31:22 PM
Quote from: SteveInWA on November 06, 2014, 09:31:35 PMThere is no valid reason to downgrade the firmware to configure Google Voice locally.

If Obihai ever goes bankrupt and OBiTALK drops offline (unlikely but possible) or Obihai is bought by a larger company which decides not to offer OBiTALK (possible), it will no longer be possible to configure Google Voice on ATAs with the new firmware.  The devices with the old firmware will continue to work with Google Voice for as long as Google allows.

I genuinely hope none of that happens, but it is not outside the realm of possibility.

It's also possible that Google decides to get rid of Google Voice, or that an asteroid hits earth, or that any number of other things happens.  The fact is, the two companies worked out this agreed-upon method of establishing authentication that is more secure, and doesn't violate any of Google's security requirements.  There is no longer an authorized, approved method of configuring the devices locally to use GV/Chat.

If you want to circumvent that, it's your choice, but neither company has any obligation to support it.

Taoman

Quote from: Mango on November 07, 2014, 03:31:22 PM

If Obihai ever goes bankrupt and OBiTALK drops offline (unlikely but possible) or Obihai is bought by a larger company which decides not to offer OBiTALK (possible), it will no longer be possible to configure Google Voice on ATAs with the new firmware.  The devices with the old firmware will continue to work with Google Voice for as long as Google allows.

Granted. But which is more likely to happen first? Google has already deprecated the old authentication methods and has only committed to continue supporting them until April of 2015.
https://developers.google.com/accounts/terms

m4paws

I have fw 4420 and trying to decide whether or not to upgrade (you know, if it ain't broke and all of that).  Do they usually post the release notes when they make a new fw available?  Would be nice to know how this update affects my 202.  Thanks.

dhobi

Quote from: m4paws on November 08, 2014, 10:09:04 AM
I have fw 4420 and trying to decide whether or not to upgrade (you know, if it ain't broke and all of that).  Do they usually post the release notes when they make a new fw available?  Would be nice to know how this update affects my 202.  Thanks.

Some change logs are usually posted in this thread, but there's nothing yet for 4420 or 4477:
http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=9.0

Mango

Quote from: SteveInWA on November 07, 2014, 03:48:38 PMIf you want to circumvent that, it's your choice, but neither company has any obligation to support it.

Neither company supports it either way.

dhobi

Quote from: Mango on November 08, 2014, 05:08:58 PM
Quote from: SteveInWA on November 07, 2014, 03:48:38 PMIf you want to circumvent that, it's your choice, but neither company has any obligation to support it.

+1 When was the last time either Google or Obihai responded to a support email? Many thanks to all the knowledgeable users in the forums for their continued help.

SteveInWA

Quote from: Mango on November 08, 2014, 05:08:58 PM

Not true at all, and this is the very crux of the year's worth of discussion.

To be very clear:

• Google currently supports third-party authentication via OAUTH 2.0.  See Taoman's URL link, and this page: https://developers.google.com/accounts/docs/OAuth2Login
  • Google has deprecated support for the direct access method that Obihai used previously, and said method is subject to being disabled at Google's sole discretion.

m4paws

Quote from: dhobi on November 08, 2014, 10:19:09 AM
Quote from: m4paws on November 08, 2014, 10:09:04 AM

Some change logs are usually posted in this thread, but there's nothing yet for 4420 or 4477:
http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=9.0

Thanks, Dhobi, I appreciate it.

danzg

Quote from: Taoman on November 06, 2014, 07:13:00 PM
Seems to be running fine for me also. Wish they would post release notes.

Quote from: dhobi on November 06, 2014, 06:19:47 PM
Where did you get this version from? I just did a ***6 on my OBI200 and it says I'm up to date even though I'm on 4350. Is 4477 some beta/pre-release version?

"Up to date" doesn't necessarily mean you have the latest firmware available.

http://fw.obihai.com/OBi202-3-0-1-4477.fw

Is that for Obi200 too? Or just 202?
Why isn't this in the 'main' firmware thread?
Is 4477 the latest for the 200?
thanks!

WelshPaul

I think 4420 and 4477 are for use with google voice, if you proceed to setup GV you will get 4477? Otherwise 4350 is the latest firmware.

EDIT: I just checked my OBi202 and indeed it was running 4420 although having dialled ***6 informed me that there was indeed a software update available. I'm now running 4477 so my theory went out the window lol
For everything VoIP
www.ukvoipforums.com

azrobert

Quote from: WelshPaul on November 12, 2014, 12:44:01 AM
I think 4420 and 4477 are for use with google voice, if you proceed to setup GV you will get 4477? Otherwise 4350 is the latest firmware.

EDIT: I just checked my OBi202 and indeed it was running 4420 although having dialled ***6 informed me that there was indeed a software update available. I'm now running 4477 so my theory went out the window lol

4350 for OBi2xx and 2824 for OBi1xx are the last FW versions that can be used to add GV via the local interface. Newer versions require OBiTalk to add GV.

Edit:
It's been reported that 4367 also works with the local interface.

dhobi

Quote from: azrobert on November 12, 2014, 07:38:45 AM
Quote from: WelshPaul on November 12, 2014, 12:44:01 AM

4350 for OBi2xx and 2824 for OBi1xx are the last FW versions that can be used to add GV via the local interface. Newer versions require OBiTalk to add GV.

And it's worth pointing out that you cannot downgrade the firmware unfortunately. So be careful if you decide to update, there's no going back. In my opinion this is a very poor restriction, what if you update and it turns out the new firmware has a bug that breaks some of your SPs? You now have to wait for another firmware update instead of simply going back to the last firmware that worked.

WelshPaul

One of my pet hates is the restriction on downgrading firmware!

The firmware can be downgraded by OBIhai though How willing they would be to downgrade a device I don't know.
For everything VoIP
www.ukvoipforums.com

MarkObihai

Hi Everyone, please see http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=8982.0 for clarification on what's included in the latest release and also how to ensure you can upgrade to this version if you wish to.

- Mark
Obihai Technology (London, United Kingdom)

Mango

Thank you very much for posting the release notes.

ceg3

Have to admit I don't normally concern myself too much with release notes, because they are mostly beyond my comprehension, but I was wondering if this note means  literally what it states?  Does this mean GV no longer supported on a 100 or that the improvements are limited to the 200 and 202?  ;D

>Various Google Voice enhancements including a new authentication method and compatibility improvements (GV only supported on OBi200 and OBi202)

Taoman

Quote from: ceg3 on November 14, 2014, 05:50:12 PM

>Various Google Voice enhancements including a new authentication method and compatibility improvements (GV only supported on OBi200 and OBi202)

Those are release notes for the OBi2xx and OBi3xx series only. Of those two series lines, GV is only supported on the OBi2xx series.

mascasa

I just noticed that my Obi200 & GV is no longer working. My phone shows Check Tel Line and I have no dial tone. None of the * commands get a response. However, the unit and the portal show that I am connected. I have tried rebooting the device, switching phone lines, switching phones, and nothing works. Any ideas?

LeoKing

Quote from: mascasa on December 16, 2014, 04:37:49 PM
I just noticed that my Obi200 & GV is no longer working. My phone shows Check Tel Line and I have no dial tone. None of the * commands get a response. However, the unit and the portal show that I am connected. I have tried rebooting the device, switching phone lines, switching phones, and nothing works. Any ideas?

Did you try a hard reset through the reset hole on the bottom of the OBi200? Also, try rebooting the router.