News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Incoming caller parties cannot hear each other

Started by flex25, September 26, 2014, 01:51:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flex25

I have an Obi 110, which I've had, pretty much problem free, for about 2 years.  The problem, that just developed, is that an incoming call rings the telephone, if the call is unanswered, the telephone built in answering machine comes on, but the caller hears 4 rings, then silence, then the call disconnects.  The caller does not hear the answering machine message or following tone. 

If the telephone is answered during the ringing, then the two parties do not hear each other--only silence, and the call disconnects.

Outgoing calls work fine--the two parties can hear each other.

I tried a different answering machine hooked up to the telephone, same problem.  Then I tried a different telephone with built-in answering machine, same problem.  So, it's not the phone, or the answering machine.  It has to be the Obi or the call provider (Callcentric).

I tried rebooting the Obi, same problem.

Any ideas?  Thank you.

flex25

One more piece of information:  I have Obi Build 2774; have not updated in a long time, since it was working well, and the updates have caused problems for other people.

Mango

Troubleshooting a no-audio situation:

1) Check your router for a SIP ALG setting.  Disable if it's enabled and vice-versa.  

2) If the SIP ALG setting on your router does not exist, navigate to Voice Services >> SPx Service and change X_UserAgentPort to a random number between 20000 and 65535, for example 37219.  This sometimes bypasses a SIP ALG that cannot be disabled.  If you use OBiTALK to configure your device, you will need to use OBi Expert Configuration to change this setting.

3) If that does not solve the problem, navigate to Service Providers >> ITSP Profile X >> RTP.  Make a note of LocalPortMin and LocalPortMax.  Configure your OBi with a static IP if it doesn't have one already and use your router to forward the UDP port range LocalPortMin-LocalPortMax to your OBi.

If the above three steps do not solve the problem, report your issue to Callcentric for further investigation, with a summary of what we have tried above.  (Disabled SIP ALG, changed X_UserAgentPort, forwarded RTP ports.)

Let us know how things go.

Mango

This issue may not be due to your configuration.  I just read that Callcentric was experiencing a carrier outage yesterday.  You may wish to open a ticket with them and ask if your number is affected.

flex25

Thank you for your help, Mango.  Before I changed the Obi or router settings, I tried two troubleshooting things, and it appears that one of them resolved the problem for now.  Hopefully, it will remain resolved.

I removed the CSipSimple app I had installed on my Android, that makes and receives Sip calls using the same Callcentric account as the Obi SP1.  I don't use the app, and read online about how it can cause possible interference problems receiving calls.

I performed a full system reboot of the modem, router, Obi, phone, and computer.  I brought up each one in proper order, then tested incoming calls.  Things are back to normal again, and I have two-way audio on phone calls.

I am thinking that the problem might have been on Callcentric's end, or my internet provider, Time Warner Cable may have pushed an update that caused the problem.  The system reboot may have taken care of it.

Speaking of Time Warner Cable, I do have a followup question, regarding your instruction in number 3), to try assigning a static IP to the Obi.  Time Warner Cable assigns a dynamic IP, so in that case would I help or hurt my setup to assign a static IP to my Obi?  I am not changing my settings now, since the problem is resolved, but I would like to know in case it comes up in the future.

Thanks for your help.

Mango

As for 3) I was suggesting you assign your OBi a static IP on your internal network.  This is unrelated to the external or public IP that Time Warner assigns you.

Glad to hear it's working!