December 18, 2017, 02:30:08 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News:

Forum Home   Search Login Register OBiTALK  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Softphone as an extra handset  (Read 26771 times)
Slooop

« on: October 03, 2014, 11:43:53 am »

Bear with me here I'm a bit of a noob...and I apologize ahead of time for the simpleton-esque questions.

I have an Obi 202 set up with Callcentric for a small office and a 2 line phone. I have 2 Callcentric accounts setup, (1 for each line) and some call hunting settings set up back and forth between each line.

My question is thus....

I'd like to get rid of the handset in my office and setup a softphone to basically act as that handset.

Is there a way to easily accomplish this?
SteveInWA
Hero Member & Beta Tester

« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2014, 06:00:21 pm »

Hi:

Noobs welcome!

I am sure that someone will post a reply with a bunch of OBi ATA call routes and dial plan rules, but the simplest approach (if you aren't already doing this) would be to define separate Callcentric extensions.  For example:  you have a Callcentric account number which is also your primary SIP user name:  177xxxyyyy.  You can add other, independent extensions to that number and then set up those extensions on other ATAs or softphones.  So, 1777xxxyyyy101 could be the extension that you then program on your softphone.  Callcentric has some basic instructions on doing this, but ask if you need more of a step-by-step.  After you add an extension, you can also set up "call treatments", which will determine simultaneous ring vs. hunt group, time before going to VM, etc.

My personal favorite full-function softphone for business is Bria from Counterpath.  Their freebie X-Lite is a lite version of Bria, so you can try it out and see if it meets your needs.

If you're talking to clients all day, audio quality and ergonomics is important.  I recommend using a hard-wired USB-attached headset, vs. the crappy speakers and mic built into PCs.  If your budget allows, a quality wireless (DECT 6.0, not Bluetooth) headset from Plantronics or Jabra/GN Netcom would be even better.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: