News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Not able to Activate Device (OBI110) on ObiTalk

Started by Richter68, October 10, 2014, 09:38:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richter68

Hi All, forgive me if I put this in the wrong place or created a thread where another existed already, but for quite awhile my OBI110 would keep showing offline on the portal, so I would delete, re-add, and re-register my VoiP provider (not GV, but Anveo) and it would work again.  This latest time, when dialing the **5xxxxx number to activate my device on the portal, the OBI110 immediately goes red and appears to 'reboot' itself.  I'm able to dial the echo number and hear the response, but everything else gives me a 'not setup' error.  I do have the latest firmware, I've tried OBI's self-help by changing the DNS and DMZ, but nothing worked.  I'm thinking the OBI device is shot?  but can't get a decent response from customer service (they responded by telling me that my device is not activated and that I should activate it...really?) and don't consider myself a techy - at least not with this type of technology.

Richter68

Can someone please help?  I just received a second reply to tell me to activate my device by going to dashboard and choosing 'add device.'  This is the worst customer experience I've ever had. I try to call the number and am forced to leave voicemail. I'm not sure how else to say that my device will not bind with the dashboard my doing 'add device.'  When I attempt to, it says to dial the **5 xxxx number. At that time my device lights up red and appears to reboot.

ianobi

Richter68

Thanks!  Tried the paperclip several times during the process.  Still not working.  Think I'm going to go find another VoiP TA.  Thanks again!

NoelB

I just powered up a new obi110 and noticed that without doing anything in the way of activation or joining a dashboard I could access the echo test and when I hooked up wireshark the device sends pkts of data (110 bytes) to obitalk (? 54.241.163.234) every 30 secs . There is an immediate response with a 426 data pkt. So even if you don't activate your obi obitalk knows you are out there and comunicating with it.

Islander48

One of our Obi110 dropped offline from the Obitalk Webportal and would not come on again despite several power off/on attempts. So I deleted it from Obitalk, did a hardware reset and tried again but with the same result. The echo test did not work either.

So I took another unit which had been working flawlessly for a former customer and connected it. It would not go green on the Obitalk page either.

So I took a brand new unit out of the box and tried to add it, but again with the same result, timeout.

What is going on? Is the Obitalk portal overloaded? The website response is painfully slow. Please Obihai, do something!

SteveInWA

By coincidence, I have been testing adding and deleting devices off of the portal tonight -- a OBi 200 and a OBi 110.  I have none of the problems you describe; the portal works about as quickly as normal (which does take a few seconds to communicate with the devices), and the devices can be added or deleted, and they both work normally.

Perhaps you have a network issue.  You can, of course, open a ticket with Obihai, as this doesn't seem to be a system-wide issue or outage.

Islander48

Strange! I few months ago I reported that the Obitalk has become very slow and speculated that perhaps our telco/isp is sabotaging us. But other users said they have the same problem (slow update). It takes typically 30sec for an Obitalk page to update while other webpages for example that of our TSP takes about 3 sec.
We have about 20 users (online and off line). Is that too much?

Wilbour

I updated my firmware and then did a factory reset since I was having issues. Last night it took me two attempts since the first one timed out.

SteveInWA

Quote from: Islander48 on October 29, 2014, 01:02:04 AM
Strange! I few months ago I reported that the Obitalk has become very slow and speculated that perhaps our telco/isp is sabotaging us. But other users said they have the same problem (slow update). It takes typically 30sec for an Obitalk page to update while other webpages for example that of our TSP takes about 3 sec.
We have about 20 users (online and off line). Is that too much?

Just a SWAG, but the portal obviously needs to "reach out" over the network to all the OBi devices attached to your account, and that takes some time.  Perhaps having ~20 devices just causes it to take longer.

With 3 devices on my account, response time is fine for me (not instant, but fast enough that I don't get aggravated - how's that for scientific measurement)  ::)

Islander48

Just to let you know:
After many frustrating hours of failed attempts I finally managed to get all units activated. But should it really have to be that hard?