News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Obi 202, 2 Google Voice accounts and email address to 1 landline

Started by Bop2300, October 20, 2014, 12:04:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bop2300

Hi, I checked out a couple of pages of this forum, and I could not find my exact situation.
  I would like to connect my Obi 202 with 2 Google Voice phone numbers (2 different google accounts) and have both phone numbers ring 1 landline in my home. Can this be done?
Thanks

SteveInWA

Your question is vague.  By "ring one landline", do you actually mean that you want both GV phone numbers to ring the telephone(s) plugged into your OBi box?  If so, that's how it works, by default, with no special magic.

Or, if you mean that you want to have two GV numbers forward to a separate land line phone number, then yes, you can do that too, by assigning that number as a forwarding phone number on each Google Voice account, on this page:  https://www.google.com/voice#phones

CoalMinerRetired

Quote from: Bop2300 on October 20, 2014, 12:04:04 PM
Hi, I checked out a couple of pages of this forum, and I could not find my exact situation.
  I would like to connect my Obi 202 with 2 Google Voice phone numbers (2 different google accounts) and have both phone numbers ring 1 landline in my home. Can this be done?
Thanks
Yes, very easy to do, and somewhat of a common setup.

Start here: http://www.obihai.com/tutorials-tips

Look for Configuring Google Voice With Your OBi

Following the Google Voice Tutorial, in Step 6, look for and configuure, where you select

--- Incoming Calls will ring on "Phone 1" for GV #1. So we're clear unselect "Phone 2."

When you get to the next step of configuring GV #2, you need to do the same thing, configure GV #2 to ring on "Phone 1" only.

To configure GV #2, do not follow the above tutorial, instead go to your "ObiTalk Portal", look for the "OBi Dashboard", find your Obi202, click on SP2 (or SP3, or SP4), then click on the Setup Now under Google Voice.

As something of an, extra-credit, ease-of-use feature, you probably want to have two different ring patterns/cadences, one pattern/cadence for an incoming call from GV #1, and a second ring for when an incoming is from GV#2, you'll then know which GV line the call is coming from before you pickup the handset.  If I recall correctly, you get this by default if you select SP3 or SP4 for the second GV line (but not if you use SP2).  Reply back if you get stuck on this point ... after you get the two lines setup as you describe.