News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

obi100 1.3.0 (Build: 2824)

Started by Omelas, September 28, 2014, 09:09:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Omelas

I have an OBi100 running 1.3.0 (Build: 2824) - It is configured for google voice, and working fine, but when I try to access is via obitalk to tweak the configuration it tells me I need a firmware update to continue. 

As I have read of others problems, I declined to continue.

But, when I try to update firmware by ***6 it reports no updates available.  Also the obitalk dashboard doesn't show a pending firmware update.

Also, it appears from the "sticky" post about firmware that I am indeed running the most current version for my device.

Not sure what to do here...

Thanks,
Omelas

ceg3

I think as part of the new relationship between Obihai and Google you are going to have to agree to the new authorization process and that can't be done without the new firmware.

My personal experience is that the update causes no issues.

Omelas

But it is unclear to me if an update is actually available.  If one is available, why does ***6 not find it?  I guess I am nervous that the obitalk page is making a mistake that an update is actually available for my device, and I will be one of the people to have a problem.

Larry

I use an OBi110, and I did the firmware update via the Obitalk portal.  It worked OK for me.  And my current firmware version as shown on the System Status page of my Obi110 web interface is: 1.3.0 Build 2872.

So it seems for this particular update, you have to go through the procedure via the ObiTalk portal, maybe because we're agreeing to something? 

This is a little off-topic: but this makes me wonder if Google has already/or will be figuring out a way to mine info about us from our calls! 

SteveInWA

Quote from: Larry on September 28, 2014, 12:39:44 PM
I use an OBi110, and I did the firmware update via the Obitalk portal.  It worked OK for me.  And my current firmware version as shown on the System Status page of my Obi110 web interface is: 1.3.0 Build 2872.

So it seems for this particular update, you have to go through the procedure via the ObiTalk portal, maybe because we're agreeing to something? 

This is a little off-topic: but this makes me wonder if Google has already/or will be figuring out a way to mine info about us from our calls! 

Obihai and all the other third-party products or apps that were previously signing directly into Google Voice users' Google accounts were told by Google to stop doing that, almost a year ago, since it was a security exposure.  Obihai updated their device firmware to now use Google's more secure authentication system, called OAUTH 2.0, instead of needing to know your password. 

The new firmware contains the additional code to perform that authentication.  If you don't use Google Voice, then don't worry about it.  If you do want to use Google Voice, then delete your OBi off of the portal, reset it, add it back, and add Google Voice as a service provider.  This will kick off the firmware update.  You will know that you have it, when the OBi auto-attendant prompts change from a male voice to a female voice.

More detailed instructions:  http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=8560.msg56460#msg56460

Uh oh, more tinfoil hats...this is making your OBi device more secure, not less.  Google couldn't care less about the content of your telephone calls.  They have plenty of other data on you, from cookies and beacons on their websites.  If you voluntarily opt-in, Google will use machine learning to analyze your voicemail messages to transcribe them to text, and to improve their voice-to-text algorithms, but they are not doing this without your permsission, and they are not doing it on your phone calls.  Only the No Such Agency has that sort of computing power and storage capacity.   ::)

Mango

Quote from: Larry on September 28, 2014, 12:39:44 PMThis is a little off-topic: but this makes me wonder if Google has already/or will be figuring out a way to mine info about us from our calls! 

Google is in the business of targeted internet advertising.  Every free service they offer provides them with valuable information to make their advertising even more accurate.  This isn't a tinfoil hat theory, it's their business model.

SteveInWA

Quote from: Mango on September 29, 2014, 09:29:00 PM
Quote from: Larry on September 28, 2014, 12:39:44 PMThis is a little off-topic: but this makes me wonder if Google has already/or will be figuring out a way to mine info about us from our calls! 

Google is in the business of targeted internet advertising.  Every free service they offer provides them with valuable information to make their advertising even more accurate.  This isn't a tinfoil hat theory, it's their business model.

This is how conspiracy theory fans take some factoid and extrapolate it into something else.  I already pointed out that Google uses cookies and beacons on their websites to do targeted marketing -- I didn't dispute that at all.  So does Microsoft, and Facebook, and so on.  The original tinfoil issue was whether or not the actual content of people's phone calls is being monitored and/or saved or otherwise used, and the answer to that is no, it isn't useful nor worth the computing and storage resources; they are making money leveraging all the other data they've already aggregated about you, all over the web.  Nearly every major website is dropping or updating third-party "doubleclick" cookies and beacons on your browser.  Doubleclick is Google's targeted advertising property, and that is just one way they track your browsing habits across the web.

http://www.google.com/policies/privacy/

You can record your own individual inbound calls, if you wish, by enabling the feature in GV settings, and then pressing "4" during a call.  You can then delete those calls, as you wish.  You can optionally let Google analyze your recorded voicemail messages if you wish.  You can turn that off at will.  Google isn't recording all your calls by default.

http://www.google.com/policies/technologies/voice/

Microsoft recently sold the targeted advertising platform it had previously acquired, to Facebook.  Search recent news articles to read about how Facebook plans to use "Atlas", to understand more on this topic.   Keep in mind that every website that you visit, that has a click-to-post-to-Facebook icon on it, is using that icon as a web beacon to track your browsing habits, even if you aren't a Facebook user.  That is just one small example of third-party tracking.  All the "atdmt" cookies on your browser?  Atlas.

Here's a challenge:  make some phone calls to a friend.  Mention some keywords of products you have never, and would never buy.  See if you start getting ads for those products.

So:  the old "if the service is free, you are the product, not the customer" comment applies, but phone calls are not worth selling to anyone, compared to your browsing and clicking habits.

Omelas

Thanks all.  I applied the update - no problems.