News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Using one number on two Obitalks?

Started by Jfriedlund, October 26, 2014, 06:46:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jfriedlund

I have a summer home and would like to use one phone number on two different Obitalks so I don't have to physically transport the device, yet be able to have only one phone number. Is this possible?

azrobert

Yes, it is possible.

You can have both OBi's defined exactly the same and have the summer OBi powered off. When you want to switch, turn off home OBi and power on summer OBi.

If you want both OBi's powered on, the setup difficulty depends on your service provider and the model of your OBi's.

MurrayB

Incoming calls could be forked via Obitalk between the two Obi. This would allow incoming calls on either Obi to ring on both Obi. That worked well for me for years you answer the phone and no one needs to know where you are. I added another outgoing number for the second Obi.

azrobert

Quote from: MurrayB on October 26, 2014, 07:56:20 AM
I added another outgoing number for the second Obi.

You don't need the 2nd outbound number.
You can route outbound calls from the 2nd OBi thru the 1st.
Who is your service provider?

MurrayB

Hi Azrobert

Thanks for your reply.

This is an old configuration that is no longer valid. I had POTS for local incoming and Google Voice for outgoing at both locations so the additional cost was nil. I also wanted two distinct CID.

I currently have one location with multiple Obi110 each with multiple SIP & DID on VOIP.ms. No more POTS. All calls land at the same location and outgoing have the proper CID. I may add another location again.

Jfriedlund

I'm currently using Google Voice on one and Magic Jack on the other. If I can figure a way to port my number out of Magic Jack (had it for years and want to keep it) my goal is to have the one number ring at both Obi locations.