News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Any Known Issues With Echo On PSTN Calls?

Started by Thunderbird1, January 30, 2011, 11:51:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thunderbird1

Hi all,

I recently came across the OBi110 and I like what I see so far and am considering purchasing a unit or two.

I've been an avid user of the SPA units (still using a SPA-3000 with original firmware) but the one aspect of the SPA that took a lot of tweaking was the echo on PSTN calls due to the internal VoIP - PSTN leg being bridged as a SIP call.

My question is:
How is the VoIP - PSTN leg bridged within the OBi110? On a PSTN call or during fail-over is the bridging done using an internal SIP call or is a hard relay utilized?

Cheers,
-TB1

obiliving

It's not using the relay; but it's not a SIP call either.
Audio will still go through device a/d and d/a with low latency.
I have not experienced any echo problem myself; and have not
heard other users mentioning it so far.

I had some experience SPA3000 and I understand
the type of echo problem you are talking about.

MichiganTelephone

I'm probably not the best person to comment but I can say that I have noticed echo (and some strange noise artifacts) when using a SPA-3000 connected to the FXS port of a provider-supplied SPA-2000.  In that hookup I had to play with gain levels to get the echo down to an acceptable (barely audible) level.  In testing what is essentially the same type of setup here, I don't notice any of that.  Since there's a world of difference between that and a copper pair from a telephone company, all I will say is that it sounds better to me with that particular hookup, and let it go at that.
Inactive, no longer posting or responding to messages.  Goodbye and good luck.  Some of my old Obihai-related blog posts have been moved to http://tech.iprock.com - note this in NOT my blog; I have simply given the owner permission to repost some of my old stuff.

Thunderbird1

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Correct me if I'm wrong, my understanding of obiliving's post is that the bridging is done electonically using a/d & d/a circuitry which basically eliminates any potential for echo between the PSTN & FXS.