News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

What's my SIP address?

Started by danzg, November 01, 2014, 05:19:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

danzg

I'm trying to set up forwarding of calls from our (crappy) NetTalk number to our new OBi device.

There's an option in there for SIP forwarding:
"Advanced users only
Forward to (SIP/IP): If you are forwarding to a SIP address then enter the SIP/IP address. (format:SIP/*1234567890@192.168.1.1)"

Does my OBi have a "SIP address"? Where do I find it?

thanks!

(Trying to port the number is going to cost too much money and hassle.)

cluckercreek

This NetTALK feature hasn't worked for a few years. I let my service expire last month and love the Obi's.

danzg

Quote from: cluckercreek on November 01, 2014, 05:28:24 PM
This NetTALK feature hasn't worked for a few years. I let my service expire last month and love the Obi's.

The regular number forwarding works, but it only forwards after 5 or 6 rings. Annoying. Any way to speed that up?

And did you find any way to keep your Nettalk number? Without porting to mobile, then porting to GV, etc?

thanks

cluckercreek

I never had a problem with the forwarding. I ported my NT number to Ring.to and use it on my android phone.

drgeoff

Quote from: danzg on November 01, 2014, 05:19:54 PM
Does my OBi have a "SIP address"? Where do I find it?
Your OBi may be reached by more than one SIP address and the best one to use may depend on where the forwarding is being done.

If the OBi is SIP registered with an ITSP then it can be reached with an address of the form account@itsp.com. This would be appropriate if the forwarding is being done by nettalk, not in equipment at your location.

If you want to forward from equipment at your location to an OBi on the same LAN then the private IP address is suitable. Again it looks like an email adress - something@p.q.r.s where p.q.r.s is the LAN address of the OBi. You can find that eg by dialling ***1. It used to be the case that an OBi would respond when almost any string was used for the 'something' but that leaves the OBi susceptible to SIP scanners. Some of the ways to tighten that mean that a specific string m6st be used for 'something' and/or a port number must be added at the end as in string@p.q.r.s:port.