News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Obi110 with a dial-up modem

Started by Yodabutt, August 27, 2011, 08:32:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yodabutt

Hey, I've setup a new Obi110 with Google Voice. That works great. I purchased it primarily to provide functionality for the dial-up modem on my Tivo. The documentation says it supports modem passthrough, so I assumed it was possible.
  Does anyone know what I need to do to make it work....or if it's possible?
Maybe I need a SIP account and configuration? I don't know what that is.
  Thanks so much for any help provided!

RonR

If you can make and receive telephone calls through the OBi using Google Voice, all that's left is to connect your TiVo's telephone jack to the OBi's PHONE Port and see if it works.  Modem and FAX operation over Internet telephony services is very hit and miss, so I wouldn't place a bet on either success or failure.  You can look at the OBi's Call History to verify that the calls are being made.

If it doesn't work, you should be able to use connect the TiVo to your Internet connection and receive Guide information and updates without using the telephone modem.

Yodabutt

Hey,
  I have connected my Tivo's modem. It's not able to make a test call or connect to the DVR service. These are old DirecTV Tivo's and thought they download content from the satellites, if they don't connect to the dial in service every couple of weeks....they complain daily about making a call.
  This is the only reason we still have a landline, and the only reason I purchased the Obi110. I'm still hoping it can be made to work. Thanks.

RonR

Quote from: Yodabutt on August 27, 2011, 11:15:30 AM
I have connected my Tivo's modem. It's not able to make a test call or connect to the DVR service.

Does the OBi's Call History show that the call went through and does the duration of the call indicate the TiVo probably tried but failed in the modem's negotiation phase?  If you call the number shown in the Call History, do you hear a modem answer?

Yodabutt

It does show the call and that it connected.
Outbound Outbound
11:13:58 New Call 
11:14:01  Call Connected
11:14:47 End Call

I just set this up this morning so even my quick Google Voice test calls didn't last more than several seconds. I tried calling the Tivo number and it answers and I get the modem screeches for a while. But after 10-20 seconds or so, it goes silent. I wasn't sure if it was because a modem wasn't trying to negotiate with it or a Google/Obi issue.
  I suppose I better do a few actual voice calls for a couple of minutes to be sure that much is working. Thanks.

RonR

Until your voice calls through the OBi and Google Voice are stable and unlimited, you're not going to have much success with the TiVo's modem.

jimates

Most people, including myself, had to tweak modem speeds to get successful connections over voip. If you are unable to change the speeds on your TiVo you may never have success.

I never was able to do it with google voice on the Obi. I had bought a NetTalk Duo for my dvr and had to continue using it after I got the Obi.

I no longer have the need for the modem set up now.

Yodabutt

Hey,  I have changed the few settings I could on Tivo, but have not had luck. If I call the number myself it goes silent after 30 seconds or so. I assume it detects no data and quits....but the call doesn't disconnect. I don't know. So did you get the NetTalk Duo to work with a dial up modem on your DVR? I'm will to try it.
Thanks to everyone for any insights. Obi seems like a nice device, I'd like to keep it.

jimates

I had the Panasonic Replay with a dial up modem. I did have success with the NetTalk Duo, buy I had to try different speed settings to find the one that worked.

It also would not work with every phone number for me either, I found the number and speed that was successful and left it at that.

One plus of the Duo is E911 (confirmed to work). So for $30 a year it may be worth it if it works with your Tivo.

I sent you a PM.

FiSH810

Any update on this???  Did the NetTALK Duo work with the TiVO dial-up modem????

Anyone figured out how to get the OBi-100 to work with a TiVO dial-up modem???

drgeoff

FiSH810

Many thanks.  Will try and report back. :)

FiSH810

None of the above tips helped in my case.  However, I found out that I am not required to even have the dial-up connection.  Only capability that I lose is using the remote control for pay-per-view movies.  I can still go to directv.com if I want pay-per-view.  So my solution is to disconnect the analog phone connection.  Problem solved.

Thanks.