News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Calling From Jamaica

Started by Waterstone, November 10, 2014, 04:02:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Waterstone

I am wondering if this can be done.... If I purchase a OBi202 with the wireless USB device.... Lets say I go to a resort with wireless WIFI in the room.... can I take my laptop and the OBi202 and pick up the resorts WIFI and use a phone with the service to call home?
Do the resorts block those ports used for calls?
OR, does it just not work out of the country.... or will the connection be lousy..... Just looking for a way to keep in touch with the kids sitter....
Usually I just rent a cell phone for the week...

drgeoff

I would just install a softphone on the laptop; no need for the OBi.  That will work as well or as badly as the OBi would.  Depends on the exact details and policies of the resort's Wi-Fi.

Waterstone

Thank you drgeoff for your reply.... I have been seeing the word "softphone" but have not learned about that as yet... can you point me in the right direction to read up on how to install and or how it is used...
I have only had the OBI100 for a week and trying to learn as much as possible... using Ring.to if you need that information to point me...

What is the softphone's phone number so the sitter can call... or is it only one way to call out..?

Found the software for smartphones and android, but not the pc.

rolandh

I don't believe there is a 3rd party softphone for the PC that will work with RingTo. Do you have an iOS or Android device?

drgeoff

If you have an Android or iOS device you can install OBion and call the OBi100 at home using OBiTalk.  No ring.to needed.

If not install a softphone on the laptop and then Obion for PC.  Then use OBiTalk as above.

I don't have need of a softphone myself but some reputable posters here have recommended phonerlite.

Waterstone

Thank you.... so basically, put OBI on my android phone... and I will be able to call home from there or anywhere I have wifi... in theory?

rolandh

For what it's worth, I agree OBion for your Android is the best bet. RingTo would not be involved.

OBion for PC seems to be no longer supported. See here http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=8790.0.

If in the future you desire to use RingTo on your Android device, GrooVe IP will make and receive voice calls. Texting is currently restricted to the RingTo Android app itself.

Waterstone

Will the sitter in my home be able to call me...?  Or, I can only call into the house...?
If she can call me in Jamaica.. what number does she dial if she is on the house number... or does she have to use her cell to call the house?

azrobert

The easiest way to call the OBiON App is to setup a speed dial on your OBi. The 1st step is to install OBiON on your smartphone and see if it works. Many people have problems with the OBiON App.

Speed Dial: PP(2901234567)
2901234567 is the OBi number of your OBiOn App.

drgeoff

When you register your OBi hardware ATA you are automatically allocated a softphone OBi number (which you use for OBion) and a speed dial.  Have a look on your OBi dashboard.

Waterstone

The OBi soft phone on my cell phone works great.... thank you... I can call the cell phone soft phone by using speed dial 1 from home and can call home from the softphone application on the cell phone... wonder if it will work from Jamaica... I will try on the wifi from the room and worse comes to worse... back to the old plan of renting a local cell for a week... love to try new things however.. if this works, it will be great...
Thank you all for your input...

drgeoff

Depending on how access to the Wi-Fi is configured, you may need to open a browser on your phone and try to access a web page (any web page).  If a different page pops up asking you to supply credentials and login then the softphone app will not work until you do.  You need to use a browser on the phone;  logging in via a laptop will probably not enable internet access on the phone.

Waterstone

drgoff, I think you are right.. I remember, its a Sandals and they make you log in to their site first and accept the terms and all that stuff.. then you can go all around.. If I remember, I could not get my mail on my phone until I did that as well. 
Once that is done..  the I will use the Softphone... you think they may block the ports for the voice... does this application use a specific port? 
Thanks again

drgeoff

Quote from: Waterstone on November 13, 2014, 10:03:35 AM
drgoff, I think you are right.. I remember, its a Sandals and they make you log in to their site first and accept the terms and all that stuff.. then you can go all around.. If I remember, I could not get my mail on my phone until I did that as well. 
Once that is done..  the I will use the Softphone... you think they may block the ports for the voice... does this application use a specific port? 
Thanks again

I don't know and won't guess about port blocking.

VoIP applications often use port 5060 (or others between say 5060 and 5080) for SIP 'signalling'.  The audio streams are usually on very different port numbers which are not as "standardised" as the signalling.