News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Configure OBI out of box in UK

Started by Hortoristic, November 07, 2014, 09:25:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hortoristic

We want to get grandma who lives in London area an OBI so she can call family in USA that also have OBI boxes. 

My question is; if I order her an OBI110 on UK version of Amazon, will she be able to just plug in her land line, and telephone and her existing telephone will work as normal - and to call us she would just dial the weird OBI number and our OBI would ring?

I had at first wanted to just order it and mail it to my home and test and configure - but it is a different power supply between UK and USA.  So hoping out of the box it just works.

carl

actually, the power supply should not be a problem- works between 110 and 240 volts and 50-60 Hz.

ianobi

As Carl says, the power supply is not a problem. If you order it from Amazon.co.uk, then it will have the correct UK style power plug.

There are some other problems depending on exactly how the OBi110 is connected to her landline and phone. Standard British Telecom plugs and sockets are different from US style telecom plugs and sockets. Various adapters are shown on the Amazon.co.uk page to enable connections to be made.

Even if she is only using it to make and receive calls via her landline and the OBiTALK network, there are several changes needed to the configuration. For example emergency numbers need changing from 911 to 112|999 and the Line Port digitmap needs changing to suit UK number formats.

So it's not quite "out of the box", but there's plenty of UK advice available here on the forum.

drgeoff

Unfortunately not straightforward:

1.  If the OBi is supplied by Amazon UK (to Grandma) it will have a power supply with correct UK plug but all the default settings will be for USA and will need some changes especially to digit map(s).  Probably not within her abilities to make the changes.

2.  Assuming Hortoristic is in the USA, if he procures one there for him to configure before sending to the UK, the PSU will be a USA one.  While it will work on UK mains voltage it will not have the correct type of plug.  Pin adaptors are fairly easy to come by though their use for 'permanent' installations is generally frowned on.

In either case there is also the additional matter of the different phone plug types between USA and UK.

WelshPaul

You will need one of these: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0002XY0ZG?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00
(for connecting your BT corded phone or DECT phone to the OBi110)

Also one of these: http://www.amazon.co.uk/BT431A-RJ11-telecom-test-adaptor/dp/B000Q8L33E/ref=pd_sim_ce_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=1MRBDTPQ40XT7F6FHMDW
(Plug this into your BT socket, take the US patch lead supplied with the OBi110 and plug one end into the adaptor and the other end into the line socket on the back of the OBi110)

And of course one of these: http://www.amazon.co.uk/OBi110-UK-Service-Bridge-Telephone-Adaptor/dp/B004XJCBGU/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1415479980&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=Obihai

All you really need to do is download the UK XML file containing the UK settings from here: http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=8434.0

Then upload the file onto the OBi110. Not sure if grandma could do that? If you can get her to register it against your OBiTALK account you should be able to configure it for her remotely.

Once uploaded and rebooted you should be good to go.
For everything VoIP
www.ukvoipforums.com

Hortoristic

I finally got things working - my new Comcast router/modem was being a real pain.  I'm using a free DID service in UK and its finally working via a registration method - couldn't get SIP stuff to work right - but I got working what needs working.

WelshPaul

Quote from: Hortoristic on November 11, 2014, 01:10:56 PM
I finally got things working - my new Comcast router/modem was being a real pain.  I'm using a free DID service in UK and its finally working via a registration method - couldn't get SIP stuff to work right - but I got working what needs working.

What service are you using? sipgate.co.uk?
For everything VoIP
www.ukvoipforums.com

nockam

I setup family in the UK by sending them to the UK with a OBI100 box bought in the US, along with a wired US phone. By using US box and US handset there was no need to hassle with digit maps or anything else. Only annoyance was using a power adapter converter until we got a UK adapter. Been working great for about 1.5 years now.