News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Question about new Google Voice setup

Started by ProfTech, October 18, 2014, 02:10:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ProfTech

A question for SteveInWa; I bought a 200 when NewEgg ran the special. Upgraded it to build 4420 fresh out of the box, using the admin screens. Then added it to the portal and set up Google Voice. No problem. I was only using it for outbound so never had a GV number. I think I had it set for hangouts but don't remember for sure but made test call(s) without issue. My question is, is the setting "Use hangouts" Ok to leave? I thought Steve said it had to be set to use [obsolete] chat?? I may be setting this up for someone at a remote location and don't want to have to make any extra trips. If hangouts is the coming standard I want to leave that setting. Thanks

SteveInWA

Hi there:

Good question(s).

OBi devices are still using the old Chat protocol (they're still behaving as Chat clients), but now, they authenticate to your Google account indirectly, via OAUTH 2.0 secure access token exchange, vs. signing in directly with a user ID and password.  So, it's still necessary to go through the one-time procedure of adding the Chat forwarding target to your GV account, by making that one outbound phone call using Chat.  If you want to receive calls on your OBi via GV/Chat, then you also need to add a check-mark to the box next to Chat.

Once you've done that, you are welcome to convert over to Hangouts on your computer(s).  This has no effect on OBi operation.  Hangouts works independently from Chat, and automatically uses your GV phone number if you have one, for caller ID on outbound calls, or to answer inbound calls, independently of any settings for Chat.

Does that make sense?

Hortoristic

Since firmware upgrade, my GV days not configured. It's been working for years - do I maybe need to follow some of these steps? I even tried a fresh SP, but it says not configured. I may have been needing the upgrade for months, I rarely log into obitalk - just did it today.

Hortoristic

This is supposed to fix it:
http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=8685.0

Quote from: Hortoristic on November 11, 2014, 06:53:58 PM
Since firmware upgrade, my GV days not configured. It's been working for years - do I maybe need to follow some of these steps? I even tried a fresh SP, but it says not configured. I may have been needing the upgrade for months, I rarely log into obitalk - just did it today.