News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Caller doesn't hear ringing

Started by Kinnison-Wales, November 25, 2014, 05:21:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kinnison-Wales

I have an OBI202 and use a VoIP service from A&A in the UK.

It has been working fine and has been configured the same for the last year, but in recent weeks increasing numbers of callers are reporting that they don't hear any ringing. If they wait long enough listening to silence for me to pick up or for the answering machine to kick in, all is OK.

The phone (actually a set of four DECT phones) ring as they always have.

Any idea what the problem might be?

WelshPaul

Under Tone Profile A & B check the Ringback Tone parameter has a value of: 400-20,450-20;-1;(.4+.2,.4+2)

If you have not done so then you can configure your OBi202 with the correct UK settings: https://www.ukvoipforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=369 Just restore the file and your done!

If all else fails as it's been over a year since you touched the OBi202 maybe you should update to the latest firmware (unless it's already running the latest) and do a full factory reset. Then setup the device again from scratch... You can use this: https://www.ukvoipforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=369 to configure your device for use in the UK then simply enter your A&A credentials and you should be good to go.
For everything VoIP
www.ukvoipforums.com

drgeoff

My reading of Kinnison-Wales problem is that it is callers into not callers from his OBi that are not hearing ringing.  Ringing sound (not ringing voltage) fed back to a caller is not generated by the called OBi. Thus I don't think changing any of its configuration settings will help.

I think the problem lies with A&A and Kinnison-Wales should contact them.

Kinnison-Wales

@drgeoff: you are correct, and I didn't realise the OBI unit doesn't generate the ringing heard by the caller - will contact A&A.

@WelshPaul: thanks for trying to help.

GamerGabe

I have one friend who calls me from his cellphone and it just rings and rings.  He never gets through to my Google Voicemail even.  Just recently I had another person call my Obi100 and it just disconnected him.  I have had many more of these incidents happen to inbound callers, I'm sure.  Of course, sometimes I have experienced the choppy voice, even to the point where I have to repeat myself over and over again.  My service provider is through Comcast and i have 25/5 internet speed.  I use a cisco dcp2100r modem and a netgear wndr4000.  I assume it is a combination of either my router or provider acting up.  My router has a lot of traffic through it, but I have tried QoS with priority on the port.  Still, the problem where inbound is not connecting or being cut off.  Is this problem with GV or the Obi or what?  It doesn't seem worth it if the Obi and it's simple to-set-up design are false to the true nature of what really has to be configured in order for this service to work.  I am interested in configuring everything to work near perfect even if I have to buy a better router, but I am unable to find a clear direction for a solution.

drgeoff

If a call rings and rings but doesn't go to Google Voicemail, that isn't down to your Obi or your ISP.

giqcass

Quote from: GamerGabe on December 08, 2014, 11:52:35 PM
I have one friend who calls me from his cellphone and it just rings and rings.  He never gets through to my Google Voicemail even.  Just recently I had another person call my Obi100 and it just disconnected him.  I have had many more of these incidents happen to inbound callers, I'm sure.  Of course, sometimes I have experienced the choppy voice, even to the point where I have to repeat myself over and over again.  My service provider is through Comcast and i have 25/5 internet speed.  I use a cisco dcp2100r modem and a netgear wndr4000.  I assume it is a combination of either my router or provider acting up.  My router has a lot of traffic through it, but I have tried QoS with priority on the port.  Still, the problem where inbound is not connecting or being cut off.  Is this problem with GV or the Obi or what?  It doesn't seem worth it if the Obi and it's simple to-set-up design are false to the true nature of what really has to be configured in order for this service to work.  I am interested in configuring everything to work near perfect even if I have to buy a better router, but I am unable to find a clear direction for a solution.
drgeoff is correct.  My best guess is that there is a routing problem between your friends provider and Google Voices provider.  That is something that can't be fixed on your end.  This is not the router and it is not the Obi Unless you changed your InboundCallRoute to forward calls.  If you left your InboundCallRoute alone you should post your problem at the Google Voice help forum.  If you changed your InboundCallRoute let us know how you changed it.
Long live our new ObiLords!