News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Learning the OBi202

Started by Waterstone, November 14, 2014, 04:31:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Waterstone

Still in the learning stage and have a lot of questions.... I am now going to get the OBi202 for two lines in the house.  Already have the Obi100 set up for the kids just fine.
What I want to understand is how or why the OBi202 has 4 VoIP Services Supported  when it only has 2 phone ports?  Guess I do not know what an SP is because I know on the 100, on is for 911 but do not understand why... how does the dial out tell the Obi which one to use... How does it know to use SP1 for 911 and SP2 for other calls.

How would 4 VOIP services benefit me if I can only hook up 2 phones...what is the purpose and can you give me an example so I now how or what its use is..

drgeoff

Calls originating from phones on either of the two sockets can be directed to any of up to four ITSPs by two methods:

1. By manually prepending **n (where is 1 through 4) to the dialled number the call will be directed to the corresponding SPn.

2. The OBi has digit maps and OutboundCallRouting. These can be configured to recognise certain dialled numbers and use a desired SP. Eg all calls with the international prefix, calls to specific ares codes etc.

Its all in the Device Admin Guide to be found in the Documents section at obihai.com but you may need to read the relevant parts of the 200 pages several times before you even begin to understand it.  :(

In a similar way there is InboundCallRouting which can make an incoming call ring either or both of the phones. (And/or the Auto Attendant.)

Waterstone

I got some reading to do.... Have to learn the terminology.....  :D  May need help if I totally mess things up....
What is kind of lousy is, from what I am reading.... if I put one number on with ring.to and one with powerphone, for the caller ID part, that would be the main number...I still have to buy 911 service for the ring.to service even though it comes with the powerphone service at the same unit and location.  Seem like kid of a waste of an SP and money....

Is PowerPhone as good as phone connection quality wise as ring.to.... I have been playing with the obi100 and seems to have it down good...

Just wish ring.to had in and out caller ID.
thank you for your direction on the help.