News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

introductory gotchas, may help others

Started by markintheforum, November 15, 2014, 11:05:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

markintheforum

I just got my obi yesterday and spent HOURS attempting to configure it with google voice due to a couple of small mistakes.  I have some questions to but I'll add them to another post.
The quick-start instructions for Google Voice say "have your gmail name and password".  I *assumed* this meant your GOOGLE name and password for your google voice account.  But this is NOT THE SAME and caused me major headaches.  Google allows you to have a login that is not @gmail.com, but when you "upgrade" to google MAIL, this changes: you get an @gmail.com account, and THAT is all that fully works.  Otherwise you get permissioning errors.  You need a "GMAIL" account not a "GOOGLE ACCOUNT", but Obihai's instructions assume you know the subtle distinction.

After upgrading my account, my google voice "Forwards to: google chat" option still had the wrong account name (mark@oldprovider.com instead marknew@gmail.com or whatever) and I could not edit it.  I deleted it, thinking I would add it back with proper gmail account.  NO SUCH LUCK -- the option stayed gone, and my phone stopped working completely.  It turns out you need to go to gmail, go the the "chat" application and make a call to bring back the "forward to: google chat".  But my google chat was dead also.... could not connect to google, it said... After another hour+ of checking firewalls, clearing browser cache, etc. I tried a different test gmail account I created, and it worked FINE... chat and all. So my main google account could not use chat/hangouts (whatever that is), and making a phone call from within chat is necessary to restore the  "forward to: chat" option.

Finally, after asking Google forums for help and being told it is an Obi issue (nonsense), I gave up for a while, planning to have to set up my phone on a brand new google account instead.

EDIT: I forgot to mention: the next morning, Google had fixed itself.  I could get to chat, so I made the call, so my "forward to: chat" came back, so I selected "forward to: chat",  so my obi202 now works properly with google voice... so it did finally end well... I guess they have some kind of housekeeping process or whatever.  But very non-intuitive across the board.

Lessons learned, save yourself grief: (1) Set up GMAIL-configured google account before, not just google account.  (2) Ensure to be safe that "forward to: chat" has the proper @gmail account listed, NOT any old one.  (3) If you DO upgrade your google account to @gmail domain (and there is no going back), do it early, as it mess mess up your ability to chat for a while, perhaps because chat is still attempting to use old account credentials?  (4) Do NOT delete "forward to: chat" option unless you are sure you can access google chat top add it back.  

Had instructions with obi warned that you need an @gmail.com account and the "forward to:chat " must match your @gmail.com email, I would have been spared hours of pain.