News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Call any OBi for FREE Right from Your WebRTC Capable Browser !! How ?

Started by YASH, November 15, 2014, 09:11:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

YASH

I received a following e-mail from OBI. - see bottom.

My question is,...

I am in the USA now.  
I have OBi200 and also OBI202  lines,..  ( total 4 diff. phone nos. )
but let say,.. If i go to  a diff. nation, and from there,..

I go to the web site of obitalk.com  ( assume,.. I have latest PC with  mic and headphone,.. etc, and latest firefox/ Google Chrome  browsers..etc )   and try to call thro' web,.. to my existing OBI phone no in USA, can I do that, free of charge?

How?

How do I set up a Voice Gateway

Can someone give me more idea and details about it ?

I had tried calling myself,.. but it shows the error,.." No gateway configured " - from my own home,... siting next to my phone, via obitalk.com , it did not ring my phone.

How do I configure ?

Help, please.

--------------
 E-mail :

Call any OBi for FREE Right from Your WebRTC Capable Browser

Obihai have integrated WebRTC, the latest Internet communications technology, into OBiTALK.com to let you make calls to any OBi number. You can even set up a Voice Gateway for your OBiTALK softphone and connect calls THRU your OBi to regular numbers. This functionality requires you to have the latest Chrome or Firefox browser. With WebRTC and OBiTALK, you can call for free, from anywhere in the world, by simply by logging into your OBiTALK account. To start your call, just click the 'Call OBi' at the top of the web page. That's it!

azrobert

From the OBiTalk dashboard click on the OBiON softphone.
Do you have anything selected for OBi Voice Gateway?
If not, select one of your OBi's from the drop down menu and click save.

The OBi Call Button did not work for me until I upgraded to firmware build 4477.

MarkObihai

The WebRTC button can be used to call any OBi number.  (Edit: except OBi100 & OBi110 devices - also, the device you are calling needs a November 2014 or later software release)
This feature is only supported in the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox and Opera browsers.

To test this out do the following:

• Ensure your OBi2xx/OBi3xx device is running firmware revision 4477 (or later)
  • Ensure your device has been added to the OBiTALK portal
  • Click the "Call OBi" button
  • Enter your OBi number (Printed on the rear of your device) and click call
  • The web browser will pop up a permission bar asking to use your microphone - allow the mic permission
  • The web browser should now start calling your OBi and it will ring and you can have a call from your browser window

You should now be able to receive calls on your phone via the "Call OBi" button.
Obihai Technology (London, United Kingdom)

drgeoff

Despite the "any Obi" claim I get a "Sorry OBb100 and OBi110 models are not supported" response.

Calling my OBi1032 does now work; maybe this is because it has had a firmware upgrade since the last time I tried it.

MarkObihai

Apologies - I left off that post the important point that WebRTC isn't supported on the OBi100 or the OBi110.  I've updated the post with the correct info

YASH

^^

Thank you all folks for your help.

Here is what I found.

(I  have tried calling from my own home  to myself  -  from the logged in website to my phones and have not started calling from outside yet - I still need to experiment that  )

* I have latest Firefox Mozzilaa  browser.

*  I  have OBI 200 and OBI 202 – with total 4 diff. line. ( OBI 202 has two diff. lines )

* I went to my dashboard and there was an orange triangle advising me to upgrade to the latest software and it took 3-5 min to upgrade and that orange triangle is gone, so It has got current upgraded software now.

* I went to the dashboard  and pressed that green color phone icon,..
*  I do not have soft phone,.. so in the "speed dial" pull down,..
I selected my OBI202's lines.

* I made more than 50-100 experiments and concluded these things.

Though, the note says,..  you can dial the OBI phone,... but in fact, you can dial to any US number phones, ( non-OBI lines ) .. means,.. even if  you are not dialing to the OBI phone,.. that also works, as it is  dialing using your OBI  US number, ( via PC and mic-headphones )  from which the phone is dialed.

And more importantly, this service is annoying, disgusting, not trustworthy and worked very randomly and in a totally strange way.    Which pattern or harmony it follows, I still could not find/figure it out,.

Means,.... You try 5-7 times and hardly one times it will join and will ring,... 5-6 times it won't and you again open-close yr browser,.. refresh page,. Again try 5-7 times,... may hardly one time it will work,... rest the phone is not ringing ! 

And, this is the sorry-fact disgusting science of it,...... even after I attempting  100+ times rebooting, refreshing  my page, re login,. Refreshing the dashboard page,. Closing the page reopening,.. delete cookies, ..... And all other way,.. but still this  strange  and disgusting science of which harmony it's following or what it is violating here,.... I still could not find any remedy,.... or why it is doing like this,.. and on that basis,. I may not consider as totally trust-worthy.

Out of 6-7 attempts  by closing and refreshing the dashboard, page
and all such it works hardly 1 out of 7 attempts,. And hence can not treat is as any reliable or trustworthy,.. to let my relatives living in other nation, to let them be given  my login passwords  and let them to call me, on my OBI number, here in the US.

Out of 6 attempts 5 times it just does not work, and that's the fact,
unless you explain me what I am missing of here  !!  Not satisfied!

giqcass

Web RTC relies heavily on the browser.  Problems with the browser itself could be your issue.  I am currently having no problems in Firefox or Chrome.  I have also used this feature on an Android smartphone via the Chrome browser with no problems.  The inability to call could also be related to your router, your internet provider, and hardware issues on your computer.  You don't need to give out your account details to your friends or family so they can call you.  They only need your "OBi Number".  It should start with a 5 or 6 depending on your model.  I believe all 2xx series start with a 5.  The number will be 9 digits long.  You can find it in the portal after you log in.  They can then go to http://www.obitalk.com/obinet/ and click the "Call Obi" link at the top of the page.  If they don't have an account they will be asked to enter a captcha code.  They will also need to enter your OBi Number.  Then they will need to give the browser permission to use the microphone.  You will then receive a call.  If the person calling does not have an Obitalk account you will see 000000000 as the caller ID for the incoming call. 
Long live our new ObiLords!

YASH

^^^^My browser server and all is fine,..... as I have no other problems anywhere.

If you do not give them, yrs e-mail and pass to login,....
The dialing does not work,
As  it says "no gateway is configured".

Also sometimes the phone rings well,... and sometimes,..
you need to open the dialpad and press 1 there
and struggle doing it 3-4 times,. And then the phone rings.
Sometimes   even the OBI tape speaks and the person will have to select "1" either by the dialpad there, or on your computer keyboard.

Also I have OBI202 which has two phone nos,.
so  in the box, sometimes,..the entered phone no. makes confusion and hence it does not ring.

But when you give them the login data,... they can simply choose the
speed dial,...and under pulldown menu.,... my account and then it shows,.

2*3025239632   ( just fake no. )

And that's how it rings,..

Even you simply keep it as  2*  and then press "call" then also it rings,....

But  it needs 3-4 attempts, as dunn'o why but sometimes it rings sometimes it does not.

OBI202 rings both the phones nos,.. if you dial by that 9 digit of OBI's ID no.

giqcass

Your obi only has one obi number.  Even the 202 only has one.  I personally have a 202.  I am not talking about a phone number.  The obi number is only 9 digits long and it should start with the digit 5.  The reason people calling you have to press 1 after they call you is because you gave them your password and the obi thinks you are calling from your own number.  Your number is in your "circle of trust".  If they call you without logging in to your account they will not need to press 1 to connect the call. They do not need an account to call you! They do not need to log in to call you!  They only need your obi number that starts with a 5.  Do not give them a phone number it won't work. Log in click on your obi202 and the obi number will be listed clearly.  If you only want 1 phone to ring that can be changed in the obitalk settings on your obi202.

drgeoff

I don't say it applies to every OBi but my 110 and 1032 each have its 9 digit OBi number clearly displayed on a label on the underside.

giqcass

Quote from: drgeoff on November 17, 2014, 02:38:52 PM
I don't say it applies to every OBi but my 110 and 1032 each have its 9 digit OBi number clearly displayed on a label on the underside.
You are correct and I can't say it applies to every Obi either but every one I have seen including the Obi202.

Quote from: YASH on November 17, 2014, 12:01:34 AM
OBI202 rings both the phones nos,.. if you dial by that 9 digit of OBI's ID no.

I didn't have a chance to explain in detail how to fix this earlier so here is a better explanation.  When the Obi number "9 digit of OBI's ID no" is called both ports on the Obi202 ring by default.  If you only want 1 port(one phone) to ring you have to set which one.

Select you Obi 202
Click Obi expert configuration at the bottom of the page.
Click "OK" on the pop up.
Click "enter Obi expert".
On the left click "Voice Service"
In the sub menu click "Obitalk service"
In the "InboundCallRoute" you will see something like {(290000000)>(xx.):SP1},{(290000000):aa},{ph,ph2}
Now change the "InboundCallRoute"  by removing ph, or ,ph2 depending on which port/ phone you want to ring.
Assuming you want to ring phone 1 it will look something like this after you remove ,ph2.
{(290000000)>(xx.):SP1},{(290000000):aa},{ph}

If you don't want to use the Auto Attendant features at all you can erase everything in the "InboundCallRoute" accept for ph or ph2.  That would mean to ring phone 1 the only thing in that field would be ph.

Once finished click submit at the bottom of the page.  Allow the Obi to reboot and test your new configuration.  If you have any issue come back here and we will help.

I hope this helps!  :)

YASH

^^

Thank you gigcass and it was sure a precious help. Thanks again.

Yeess I agree,..... and I and we all know the 9 digit Ids of our pieces.  So, no confusion with that, at all.

In fact, if both  the phones are ringing,... it does not bother me,... as I can receive/reply on any of the phone,.. so that's rather an advantage,..... and I know immediately, when my brother would call me from India, as soon as both the phones ring and I can know it from far, without even coming to the phone and reading the dialpad,... So, No problem.  

[ But still in a general way otherwise,.. my both diff phone nos are alreday set up for two diff. lines,.. so they ring individually, when a particular line is  contacted.  And, that's what I had initially wanted. So, no problem. ]

I still did not try calling my obi from outside via web browser yet,.. but when I tried to calling me the way you advised, from my home, via the web browser, calling myself,....  
It shows so much disturbance of noises and  sounds like a train is coming,...... etc. Does it always makes such noises,.. let say if someone is calling you from  a very far nation, via web browser ?  How clear the voice quality remains both the ways,... !

Just wondered.  any opinions.

[ BTW, will have to admit,.. few members / MODs on this forum remain extremely cooperative, knowledgeful and very good at assisting all the way ! Kudos to the entire team n' members ]

giqcass

Quote from: YASH on November 17, 2014, 06:24:13 PM
I still did not try calling my obi from outside via web browser yet,.. but when I tried to calling me the way you advised, from my home, via the web browser, calling myself,....  
It shows so much disturbance of noises and  sounds like a train is coming,...... etc. Does it always makes such noises,.. let say if someone is calling you from  a very far nation, via web browser ?  How clear the voice quality remains both the ways,... !

For me the call is clear.  When someone calls from a computer you will typically hear more background noise then you would hear with a handset because the microphone in the computer is very sensitive.  Careful adjustment of the microphone on the computer can clear a lot of that up.  Sound quality can also be increased with a headset/microphone attached to the computer.  In any case I have never experienced the level of distortion that you describe.

arobatino

Quote from: MarkObihai on November 16, 2014, 06:19:11 AM
Apologies - I left off that post the important point that WebRTC isn't supported on the OBi100 or the OBi110.  I've updated the post with the correct info
Is this because the hardware in these devices isn't capable of supporting WebRTC (I know it's more primitive than that in the OBi2xx devices), or because there isn't yet a firmware update for OBi1xx that would allow it?

MarkObihai

Quote from: arobatino on November 17, 2014, 09:18:02 PM
Is this because the hardware in these devices isn't capable of supporting WebRTC (I know it's more primitive than that in the OBi2xx devices), or because there isn't yet a firmware update for OBi1xx that would allow it?

The OBi100 and OBi110 are based on a more basic platform than the other OBi models.  So (for now at least) WebRTC isn't supportable on these devices.

QBZappy

Quote from: MarkObihai on November 17, 2014, 11:31:36 PM
The OBi100 and OBi110 are based on a more basic platform than the other OBi models.  So (for now at least) WebRTC isn't supportable on these devices.

It used to be supported on the OBi1XX. What changed? I note some not so subtle marketing coercion effort to get users on board with the 4477 firmware which incorporates the Google two-step verification process. I hope this is not a case of planned obsolescence. My 110 units are working fine as they are, pre 4477.
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

QBZappy

@YASH

If the "Call OBi" button is not working for you, there are alternate ways of making browser or softphone based  calling using far the away obi. Here is one simple way you can use GTalk to make calls to your obi reliably. This gives callers the ability to make other calls using the voip services of the far away OBi. In other words it has all of the abilities of the OBI "Call button" without the limitations. Note that I have not tested this recently.

So what is unique about the OBion app vs using the Google Talk client?
http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=3573.0
http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=3550.msg23594#msg23594

This other method will require much more effort on your part as it needs you to preconfigure a portable app and perhaps need to port forward in your router. Using a portable app such as phonerlite portable ( http://phonerlite.de/download_en.htm ), you can preconfigure your ip address or dns name into the app and let them download it to their computer.

In any case all these methods require some basic knowledge of the OBi inbound call rules in order to direct the call to your phone. For some background on what to consider in crafting inbound call rules, have a look at the link I provided above.
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

YASH

^^^^

Sir :

I think,.. it's working after 1-2 trial and struggle this way and that way,... as I still did not try calling myself from outside,.. and probably I called over and over, perhaps when my phone was already in a answering mode of the previous attempt and such,....  But after 2-3 struggle attempts the button works.

The things you explained is very technical and I can  not get even 0.001 % of what is been said,.. so on  a layman pov,.. it's even more tedious anyway.

But, thanks for yr  advise and assisting.

drgeoff

Quote from: QBZappy on November 18, 2014, 06:49:39 AM
Quote from: MarkObihai on November 17, 2014, 11:31:36 PM

It used to be supported on the OBi1XX.
Are you sure?  I tried it at fairly regular intervals from when the feature was first available and it never worked to my 110.  Always some message - can't remember if it said "not 100 series" or "200 series only" - that made it quite clear that my 110 was not supported.

YASH

It seems,  two diff. things are being confused here .

1.   Loging in, onto the obitalk website and making phone calls thro' that webpage  ( by mic/headsets ) using your device to call to other US phone numbers and even worldwide ( at a  a charge, to a non-obi number ), from your device .

2.   New feature which has just been added this month, about,......
Other of your world-wide friends, who does not have even the device and / or account and without even logging in, they can call you, to your device, via their Web browser for free.

I guess,..
the feature no. 1 was always there for  a long time,.. including the old models,.
And the  feature no. 2 is just added, this month,
and to new models only with that updated software installed, n' with the updated browsers of Mozilla, GC or Opera, and equipped PC with microphone /headsets/speakers/built-in mic ,.. etc.