News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

OBi1032

Started by dennist, November 10, 2014, 07:24:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dennist

Does OBi1032 allow automatic rotation of all six numbers for incoming calls? For business, we give out only one number as the primary number. When this primary number is in use, will other incoming calls ring the next available number on OBi1032?

giqcass

The short answer is yes but it would be dependent on your service provider as well.  The 1032 is intended to be used in situations ranging from the small home office to the large call center.  The way you phrased your question makes me think this needs to be a larger conversation.  You may want to elaborate on your specific needs.

• What service provider you will be using?
  • Will the other "numbers" be actual outside numbers or extensions?
  • What other devices will be involved?
Long live our new ObiLords!

QBZappy

Quote from: dennist on November 10, 2014, 07:24:06 AM
Does OBi1032 allow automatic rotation of all six numbers for incoming calls? For business, we give out only one number as the primary number. When this primary number is in use, will other incoming calls ring the next available number on OBi1032?

1) Here is one of the best discussions on this topic:
http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=1533.0

2) A more simple way would be to sign up with a sip provider that offers as many voice channels (on the same DID) as you need. This ability is one of the big difference between voip and POTS.
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

dennist

Quote from: giqcass on November 10, 2014, 08:02:45 AM
The short answer is yes but it would be dependent on your service provider as well.  The 1032 is intended to be used in situations ranging from the small home office to the large call center.  The way you phrased your question makes me think this needs to be a larger conversation.  You may want to elaborate on your specific needs.

• What service provider you will be using?
  • Will the other "numbers" be actual outside numbers or extensions?
  • What other devices will be involved?
We haven't made the decision on the service provider yet. All current four POTS are Verizon business landline. I am not sure Google Voice allows porting from business landlines.

All four lines are independent landline numbers.

No other VOIP devices will be involved.

The automatic rotation of numbers is very common on landline for business. If Obihai does not provide this feature on its business devices, it will be very difficult to use it for our business.

dennist

Quote from: QBZappy on November 10, 2014, 01:32:55 PM
Quote from: dennist on November 10, 2014, 07:24:06 AM

1) Here is one of the best discussions on this topic:
http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=1533.0

2) A more simple way would be to sign up with a sip provider that offers as many voice channels (on the same DID) as you need. This ability is one of the big difference between voip and POTS.
Will the voice channels ring all four lines of Obi1032 at the same time when people call the primary number?

QBZappy

@dennist

Multi channel is a feature of your voip service provider. I'm assuming that you want more than one OBi1032 unit to answer any calls coming in on any of the 6 lines. There could be a number of ways to set this up. A simple way would be to use a provider which offers the ability to use sub-accounts and call groups (ie voip.ms). A "transfer when busy" call strategy to a call group setup with sub accts would ring the other units. I think you can configure the call waiting tone on the OBi1032 if you prefer not to hear it beep if it is too distracting. Each unit is registered separately with the service provider. This has the advantage of not requiring to craft any special dial plans in the Obi1032 for this to work.
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

giqcass

Quote from: dennist on November 10, 2014, 07:07:32 PM
We haven't made the decision on the service provider yet. All current four POTS are Verizon business landline. I am not sure Google Voice allows porting from business landlines.

All four lines are independent landline numbers.

No other VOIP devices will be involved.

The automatic rotation of numbers is very common on landline for business. If Obihai does not provide this feature on its business devices, it will be very difficult to use it for our business.

It seems I was correct in the assumption you don't entirely follow the way this works.  As QBzappy said you will need multiple channels to accomplish what you are attempting.  This is something the service provider does.  The Obi can't accept 6 calls to 1 number unless the service provider allows that(6 channels).  Most service providers only give you 2 channels by default.  Most service providers that accommodate businesses will sell you extra channels for an additional fee.

Now on to part 2 of your solution.  Lets assume you get 3 calls in a row.

Call 1 connects to the obi 1032.  1 Channel.

Call 2 connects to the obi 1032 but person 1 is still on a call.  1 Channel incoming but now the Obi needs 1 channel outgoing to send the call to the 2nd number.  In addition the number the Obi forwarded the call to needs 1 incoming channel.

Call 3 connects to the obi 1032 but person 1 and 2 are still on a call.  1 Channel incoming but now the Obi needs 1 channel outgoing to send the call to the 3rd number.  In addition the number the Obi forwarded the call to needs 1 incoming channel.

You now have 3 calls going but instead of 3 channels you are using 7.  At 6 simultaneous calls you will be using 16 channels.  In addition even if everyone is in the same building calls 2-6 are being charged incoming, outgoing, and incoming again for the extra call legs.  There will be call degradation and possible delay because the call is being passed around so much.

The Optimal solution here is to use 1 Voip adapter for each line.  Then depending on your needs you can allow the Obi1032 to control the forwarding or you can allow your service provider to do it.  This way you only need to use 1 channel per call. 
You save on outgoing minutes the forwarding would have created.
You pay for fewer channels. 
You have less lag.
You can keep the extra phone numbers but you don't even need them.  Instead you have 1 number and each phone has an extension.  It would not be necessary for each person to have an Obi1032.  The other extensions could use any VOIP ATA.  If they were all in the same building I would recommend a couple multiline Obi devices like the Obi 202.  This will require more upfront cost but it will save you some real money and headaches going forward.

One Obi1032 and 2 Obi202 would support 5 simultaneous calls(people actually talking) plus many more on hold/park/ect..   

dennist

Hi giqcass,

Thanks for the suggestion. I need time to digest it. I also need to calculate the monthly VOIP minutes required on this income/transfer/outbound setup. If the cost is close to Verizon landlines, we will probably stay with Verizon until...

azrobert

If you have multiple OBi1032s on the same LAN you can Call Forward on Busy via SIP URI. This method will pass CallerID when you enable X_SpoofCallerID. You only use one channel on the inbound SP when using another SP to forward the call and there is no charge for forwarding the call.

I just tested this by using an OBi200 for the inbound call and forwarding the call on busy to an OBi1032.

Edit:
You must disable Call Waiting, otherwise the call will not forward on busy.

azrobert

I said the following in my previous post which probably is confusing.
QuoteYou only use one channel on the inbound SP when using another SP to forward the call

An inbound call will use a provider channel and also a channel on the OBi.
The OBi channels are defined here:
Voice Services -> SPx Service -> MaxSessions
The default is 2.
I think I tested with 5 simultaneous sessions.

What I was trying to say above is on an inbound call you use 1 provider channel and 1 obi channel on the inbound SP and another OBi channel on the SP you use to forward the call.

Ostracus

Might want to think about a calling queue?

Ring Groups are the second best solution.

giqcass

Quote from: dennist on November 15, 2014, 09:40:43 AM
Hi giqcass,

Thanks for the suggestion. I need time to digest it. I also need to calculate the monthly VOIP minutes required on this income/transfer/outbound setup. If the cost is close to Verizon landlines, we will probably stay with Verizon until...
The higher upfront cost of multiple SIP devices / ATAs will be offset long term.  If each phone is connected to SIP then forwarding won't be needed.  That will keep you down to one channel per call.  Each phone could keep it's incoming number if you want but using SIP a call to the main number won't have to go through the extra routing to get to the destination. 

Quote from: Ostracus on November 15, 2014, 02:36:05 PM
Might want to think about a calling queue?
A "Calling Queue" would be a good solution.  An option I think you should specifically look into is ACD (Automatic Call Distribution)  Here is a link .  I am NOT endorsing this company because I haven't used this type of service.   As a result I can't give you advice on any one provider in that category.  Some of these companies are meant to be used with software running on a computer but the Obi1032 does support ACD and will work with some of these services. 

dennist

Hi Gigcass,

Your suggestion to use multiple ATAs should be a good idea. It also allows us to use the current telephone system instead of purchasing several 1032s. I will look into this. Thanks.

giqcass

Quote from: dennist on November 19, 2014, 02:48:26 PM
Hi Gigcass,

Your suggestion to use multiple ATAs should be a good idea. It also allows us to use the current telephone system instead of purchasing several 1032s. I will look into this. Thanks.
Obi makes some great ATAs that work very well on their own but they can also be set up to work together.  They are designed so they can be managed by a single person.  For business use Obi also offers a service called Obi plus.  There is a free version called "Obi plus lite" and a paid version. 

You will want to stay away from the 300 and 302 models.  Those are meant for businesses that sell VOIP service.  For most people the 200 and 202 are a better option.

I'm linking you directly to the "Obi introduction" which is the part I think you should have a look at.  You don't need to understand or read the whole manual.  The portal makes most tasks simple.
http://www.obihai.com/OBiDeviceAdminGuide#_Toc367543002